The Dietetic Internship (DI) (Program Code #0451) at Western Kentucky University (WKU) resides in the Department of Applied Human Sciences (AHS) within the College of Health and Human Services (CHHS).
The DI program is a full-time, 9-month program, and will start in July. The program will accept ten (10) interns each year. Students will complete 32 weeks of supervised practice, with 12 weeks devoted to Medical Nutrition Therapy, 10 weeks to Community Nutrition, and 10 weeks to Foodservice Systems Management. Supervised practice hours are 40 hours/week. The program includes 1208 hours of dietetic supervised practice experiences with a concentration in Community Nutrition.
This DI is a post-baccalaureate program, leading to a Graduate Certificate in Dietetic Practice. The 12-hour graduate certificate will include the following didactic courses:)
- HMD 583 Foodservice Systems Management (3)
- HMD 584 Community Nutrition (3)
- HMD 586 Medical Nutrition Therapy in Practice (3)
- HMD 587 Seminar in Concepts and Methods of Dietetic Practice (3)
Interns will be required to register for and begin the program in mid-July with HMD-587 Seminar in concepts and Methods of Dietetics. An orientation will be included and beginning day for supervised practice will be in mid-August. For the remainder of the internship, students will be completing their required supervised practice hours and completing the other courses online (Foodservice Systems Management, Community Nutrition, and Medical Nutrition Therapy in Practice).
Supervised Practice Sites
Most of the internship sites will be within two-hours driving time from WKU (Bowling Green). The interns will register for the courses during the semester in which they complete the respective supervised practice hours.
Interns will be assigned to supervised practice sites throughout Kentucky. Every effort will be made to accommodate intern requests for site locations.
Location tracks include:
Louisville Area - 120 miles
Elizabethtown Area - 70 miles
Glasgow Area - 36 miles
Bowling Green Area - 5 miles
Owensboro Area - 76 miles
Leitchfield/Grayson Co. Area - 62 miles
Applicants must meet the following requirements for entrance into the Internship:
- A minimum of a Baccalaureate degree.
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- A minimum of 142 on Quantitative and 144 on Verbal on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). A minimum of 800 on the GRE, if taken prior to August 1, 2011. All scores must be within 5 years of the time of application.
- Completed a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) prior to the start date of the internship.
- A signed "Verification Statement" or "Declaration of Intent" to complete degree.
Admissions will also be based upon the application, resume, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and work experience, preferably paid.
Interns will apply to the WKU Graduate School after acceptance into the Internship. More information about the WKU Graduate School and the online Application for Admission may be found at: http://www.wku.edu/graduate/
Graduation and Program Completion Requirements
The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate and Verification Statement are only granted under the following circumstances (receipt of the Verification Statement allows a graduate to apply to write the exam to become a Registered Dietitian):
- Completes a minimum of 1200 supervised practice hours/alternate supervised practice experiences
- Meets performance standards and receives a minimum satisfactory score (3/5) on all preceptor evaluations
- Completes and receives a satisfactory score (70%) or above on all course assignments
- Maintain professional and ethical standards as outlined in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Code of Ethics
- Completion of all required coursework with an average GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- The dietetic intern has discharged all indebtedness to Western Kentucky University.
All dietetic interns must complete an Application for Graduation in the WKU Office of the Registrar.
For more information about the cost of the program, average time to complete the program, and other important information, please visit this website.