Facebook Pixel WKU Transfer Admissions: Articulation | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

WKU Transfer Admissions Information

Explanation of Transfer Articulation


  • Transfer of Credits - Credits earned at other accredited American institutions of higher education may be transferred to WKU and applied toward a degree. The "Transfer Credit Practices" report published by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers will be the reference used for the evaluation of such credits. Some credit from non-regionally accredited institutions may have been included on the report. Credit from non-regionally accredited institutions may be considered for credit by petitioning for recognition of that credit. If you wish to petition for additional credit, you may access the form via www.wku.edu/transfer.
  • All credit is recorded in semester hours. Plus and minus grades will be recorded as the letter grade only.
  • Usually a WKU Course Equivalency will be listed as a subject abbreviation followed by a course number, such as ENG 100. In cases when there is not a specific WKU course equivalency (or an exact equivalency has not been determined), but you have something that will count toward a general education category, you will see a subject abbreviation followed by an alphabetic abbreviation instead of a number. The alphabetic abbreviation represents the general education category in which the course counts. For example: ENG A1-L means this is an English course that counts toward Gen. Ed. Category A1 and counts as a lower division course. When a student has both ENG 100 and ENG A1-L, the student has fulfilled the English Requirements in Category A. PHYS D1-L means that you have a Physics course that counts in Category D1 and counts as a lower division course.
  • Courses listed as TRAN EL-L (Transfer Elective Lower Division) or TRAN EL-U (Transfer Elective Upper Division) means one of two things:
    • WKU does not have an equivalent course but the course counts as degree credit.
    • An equivalency has not been determined but the course counts as degree credit. If you believe that a course listed as TRAN EL-L or TRAN EL-U should be considered as equivalent to a WKU course, please contact the appropriate department head for equivalency information. You should request the department head to complete the Request for Transfer Equivalency Form available on the Degree Works website at www.wku.edu/degreeworks, if the transferred course is either equivalent to a WKU course or will be accepted in lieu of a WKU course.
  • Coursework taken at a baccalaureate degree granting institution (4-year) transfers at the level at which WKU offers the course. Junior or Community College work transferred to WKU must be counted as lower division, regardless of equivalency.
  • Students who transfer from a Kentucky community college or state university may find courses listed with a course title of KY Gen Ed Transfer Agre. This abbreviation in the course title field means that some accommodation has been made in compliance with the Statewide General Education Transfer Agreement. The accommodation may be to show that a particular requirement has been satisfied without actually earning credit hours for a specific course. Examples of accommodations that you may see are: KGET C-A3 means you have credit that satisfies Gen. Ed. Category A3 (the speech requirement); KGET C-B1 means you have credit that satisfies Gen. Ed. Category B1 (the literature requirement); KGET DL-L means you have credit that satisfies Gen. Ed. Category DL (the science lab requirement) and counts as a lower division course.
  • Transfer coursework appears on your General Education Transfer Evaluation in one of three ways:
    • Toward General Education requirements
    • Electives
    • Non-credit Electives Courses listed in the first two categories may also apply to major, minor or teacher certification requirements. Please contact advisors in these areas to determine how these courses may apply. Placement of courses in General Education are considered official placements. General education requirements are listed in the undergraduate catalog. Consult your academic advisor and/or the appropriate department head about any general education requirements that may be unique to a particular major or minor.
  • Students are expected to use Degree Works in conjunction with an academic advisor to determine degree program requirements; unless pursuing a second degree or if they have coursework prior to 1990. Degree Works is available through TopNet. Transfer courses with an equivalency will apply toward the program requirements. Transfer courses without a WKU equivalency (TRAN EL-U, TRAN EL-L, SUBJ EL-L or SUBJ EL-U) will fall into the general electives portion of the audit until a Request for Transfer Equivalency form is filed to move the course into the major or minor. Exception forms are available on the Degree Works website at www.wku.edu/degreeworks.
  • Students pursuing a second degree or who have coursework prior to 1990 are required to file an Undergraduate Degree Program. The Undergraduate Degree Program serves as an agreement between the University and the student regarding course requirements for the degree. Once approved by the college dean, the Undergraduate Degree Program is valid for five years from the date of approval. Questions concerning the evaluation should be directed to the Transfer Center, 2135 DSU, (270) 745-2178.


General Education Transfer Policy from States other than Kentucky

Students who complete an associate degree containing 30 unduplicated semester credit hours of General Education (typically an Associate of Arts [AA] or an Associate of Science [AS]) from a regionally accredited institution outside Kentucky are considered to have fulfilled all WKU Colonnade General Education requirements. These credit hours are to be drawn from and include at least one course from each of the following areas: humanities/fine arts, social/behavioral sciences, and natural science/mathematics.

Download Details as a PDF: Explanation of Transfer Articulation


Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 10/6/22