The Systems/Scientific Applications Option requires 50 hours including 47 hours of computer science courses and 3 hours of STAT 301. In addition, this option requires additional mathematics courses and several science courses designated for science or engineering majors.
Please use iCAP within TopNet to verify your remaining degree requirements for the program of your catalog year.
Starting from Fall 2012, students who wish to declare a 629 computer science major are initially designated as 629P - Computer Science (Prep). In order to be granted full admission into the 629 computer science major, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Completion of CS 180, CS 221, and CS 339 with grades of C or better.
- Submit a Change of Major form to change from 629P to a 629 major.
Current Catalog: 50 Hours Requirements for System/Scientific Option:
- All CS courses counting towards the CS program major must be completed with a C or better.
|CORE CLASSES (With Grade of C or Better)||HOURS|
|CS 180 Computer Science I||
|CS 221 Computer Science II||4 Hours|
|CS 325 Computer Organization and Architecture||3 Hours|
|CS 339 Computer Science III||3 Hours|
|CS 351 Introduction to Database||3 Hours|
|CS 360 Software Engineering||3 Hours|
|CS 382 Programming Languages||3 Hours|
|CS 396 Intermediate Software Project||3 Hours|
|CS 421 Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis||3 Hours|
|CS 425 Operating Systems I||3 Hours|
|CS 496 Senior Project and Professional Practice||3 Hours|
|TOTAL HOURS||35 Hours|
|ELECTIVE CLASSES (With a Grade of C or Better)||HOURS|
|CS 372||3 Hours|
|CS 381||3 Hours|
|CS 443 Database Management Systems||3 Hours|
|CS 445 Operating Systems II||3 Hours|
|CS 446 Interactive Computer Graphics||3 Hours|
|CS 450 Computer Networks||3 Hours|
|CS 456 Artificial Intelligence||3 Hours|
|TOTAL HOURS NEEDED||12 Hours|
|MATH ELECTIVE CLASSES (With a Grade of C or Better)||HOURS|
|MATH 137 Calculus II||4 Hours|
|MATH 305 Introduction to Math. Modeling||3 Hours|
|MATH 307 Intro to Linear Algebra||3 Hours|
|MATH 331 Differential Eqns||3 Hours|
|MATH 405 Numverican Analysis I||3 Hours|
|MATH 406||3 Hours|
|MATH 470 Intro to Operate Res||3 Hours|
|MATH 437||3 Hours|
|TOTAL COURSES NEEDED||2 Courses|
Additional requirements include
- ENG 307 and MATH 136 and STAT 301
- Completion of one year of a laboratory science (a two semester sequence of the same science) and one additional science course (all must be designed for Science/Engineering majors).
- One additional course from the above list of MATH courses (this course may not be used to satisfy any other CS major degree requirement) or one additional science course designed for science/engineering majors.