Facebook Pixel FAQs - WKU Communication Department | Western Kentucky University


General Questions

Undergraduate programs:

  • Advertising (BA)
  • Corporate & Organizational Communication (BA)
  • Communication Studies (BA)
  • Public Relations (BA)
  • Digital Advertising Certificate
  • Strategic Communications Certificate
  • Workplace Communication Certificate
  • Digital Advertising Minor*
  • Communication Studies Minor*

*suspended as of 2022

Graduate programs:

  • Organizational Communication (MA)
  • Communicating in Organizations (Certificate)
  • Communicating in Healthcare (Certificate)
  • Strategic Sport Communication (Certificate)

Advertising prepares students for a career in advertising as an Account Executive or Creative by giving them opportunities to build a resume and take part in projects, competitions, and internships. This major requires a second major, minor, or certificate. 

Communication Studies takes a liberal arts approach to developing responsible communicators in a variety of settings: one-on-one, small group, public, interpersonal, intercultural, and organizational. This major requires a second major, minor, or certificate.

Corporate and Organizational Communication provides an interdisciplinary program for students seeking careers that require communication skills in organizational settings such as training and development, public affairs, non-profit management, government relations, marketing, sales, human resources, public relations, and entrepreneurial endeavors. This major requires a second major, minor, or certificate.

Public Relations prepares students for a career in public relations through the emphasis of research and measurement, strategic planning, targeted written communication tactics, and ethical practice.  This major requires a second major, minor, or certificate.

Undergraduate Students:

  • American Advertising Federation (ADFED) 
  • Lambda Pi Eta (LPH) - National Honorary Communication Society; WKU Rho Nu Chapter of NCA 
  • Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) 

Graduate Students:

  • COGS (Communication Organization Graduate Students)


FAQs About Advising

WKU requires you to have an advisor release the “hold” on your registration account before enrolling in classes for Fall and Spring semesters (this doesn’t apply to Winter or Summer terms).  This allows you to have a conversation with a knowledgeable faculty member or professional advisor so you can get direction about appropriate next courses, to learn about goings-on in your major, and to ask questions.  Time you spent being advised will greatly help you graduate on your desired time table. 

If enrolled in Advertising, your advisor is Prof. Clint Haynes - (FAC 282) or Prof. Charlotte Elder (FAC 139). Schedule your appointment through TopNet.

If enrolled in Communication Studies or Corporate & Organizational Communication, your advisor is Prof. Bruce Crawley - (FAC 106). Schedule your appointment through the Department of Communication's main office (FAC 130 / 270-745-3296).

If enrolled in Public Relations, your advisor is Prov. Clint Haynes (FAC 282) or Prof. Charlotte Elder (FAC 139). Schedule your appointment through TopNet. 

Tell us your situation. We may be able to set up a "meeting" via telephone or e-mail. 

“Earned hours” are credits you earn by passing your classes.  Courses in which you are currently enrolled are not earned hours until they are actually completed. Your registration priority is determined in part based on the number of hours you have already earned.

If you can't get into a course within the department, contact your advisor or the professor teaching the course. They may be able to help. 

If you can't get into a course outside of the department, your communication advisor does not have authority to manage course enrollment in another department. Contact the department that administers the course, or e-mail the professor of the course.

That blue bar contains information about the class directly above that bar in the Schedule, including restrictions on what students are eligible to take it. Read this information carefully. 
Sometimes this note pops up during the self-registration process and prevents you from getting into a class. If this happens, read the course's catalog description to see what you lack. Sometimes "instructor permission" can override the lack of a pre-requisite course. If you get this message in error for a Communication course, contact the Communication Department office. 



Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 8/21/23