Applied Human Sciences
1906 College Heights Blvd #11037
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1037
Four FACS Students Named Scholars of the College at Spring Commencement
- Ericka Hardin, a Hospitality Management and Dietetics major from Crestwood, KY, was named as one of the Scholars of the College of Health and Human Services. Ericka is a double major and was also named as a Scholar of the Potter College of Arts and Letters. She is an Honors College graduate as well;
- Inge Patton, a Hospitality Management and Dietetics major, was named as one of the Scholars of the College of Health and Human Services;
- Krystal Steele, an Interior Design major from Cincinnati, OH, was named as one of the Scholars of the College of Health and Human Services; and,
- Jeffrey Walker, a Hospitality Management and Dietetics major from Wilmore, KY, was named as one of the Scholars of the College of Health and Human Services. Jeffrey is a double major and was also named as a Scholar of the Potter College of Arts and Letters. He is an Honors College graduate as well.
Congratulations to all these deserving students!
FACS Student Named a Scholar of the College at December Commencement
Caitlynn Oberhausen, a nutrition and dietetics major from Russellville, KY, was named as a Scholar of the College of Health and Human Services at the December WKU Commencement. Congratulations, Caitlynn!
Outstanding FACS Students Honored
The following students were awarded honors on Saturday, April 11, at the College of Health and Human Services Awards Celebration:
- Marlee Connor Barton, Ft. Thomas, KY, Outstanding Family and Consumer Sciences Education Student of the Year
- Kelsey B. Bruner, Lancaster, KY, Outstanding Senior in Fashion Merchandising
- Lauren Grossman, Owensboro, KY, Academic Excellence in Child Studies
- Audrey C. Lewis, Frankfort, KY, Outstanding Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management Senior
- Krystal J. Steele, Hamilton, OH, Academic Excellence in Interior Design
- Ericka K. Hardin, Crestwood, KY, Outstanding Nutrition & Dietetics Senior
- Jeffrey T. Walker, Wilmore, KY, Outstanding Nutrition & Dietetics Senior
- RaLeigh P. Wilson, Glasgow, KY, Outstanding Early Childhood Education Student
- Jeffrey T. Walker, Wilmore, KY, Academic Excellence in Phi Upsilon Omicron
- Aaron Armstrong, Trousdale, TN, Outstanding Leadership in Phi Upsilon Omicron
- Lauren M. Sanders, Goodlettsville, TN, Outstanding Service in Phi Upsilon Omicron
Congratulations to all these outstanding FACS students!
FACS Students Earn Scholarships
The following scholarships have been earned by students in the Family and Consumer Sciences Department for 2015-16:
- Lauren Sanders received the Marie Adams-Home Economics Alumni Association Scholarship
- Sarah Beth Astor received the Beta Delta-Phi Upsilon Omicron Scholarship
- Courtney Knight received the Frances and Lawrence Bickett Scholarship
- Taylor Stewart received a Melissa Bohannon Clemmons Scholarship
- Allison Newman received a Melissa Bohannon Clemmons Scholarship
- Savannah McRae received the Fashion Inc. Scholarship
- Cierra Pitts received a Rita Hix Scholarship
- Jiaqi Guo received a Rita Hix Scholarship
- Kelsey Jones received a Rita Hix Scholarship
- Marsha Lillpop received a Rita Hix Scholarship
- Madison Thomas received a Rita Hix Scholarship
- Shelby Noll received a Rita Hix Scholarship
- Shelby Debettencourt received a Mary and Douglas Keach Scholarship
- Madison Gooch received a Mary and Douglas Keach Scholarship
- Carli Barr received an Evadine Parker - Phi Upsilon Omicron Scholarship
- Devyn Layne received an Evadine Parker - Phi Upsilon Omicron Scholarship
- Elizabeth Bynum received an Evadine Parker - Phi Upsilon Omicron Scholarship
- Shelby Debettencourt received an Evadine Parker - Phi Upsilon Omicron Scholarship
- Abby Watkins received the Susie Pate - Phi Upsilon Omicron Scholarship
- Lauren Sanders received the K. Virginia Seidel Scholarship, a national scholarship from the Educational Foundation of Phi Upsilon Omicron
Congratulations to all these hard-working students!
Interior Design Student Wins National Scholarship
Krystal Steele was awarded a national scholarship from the Planning and Visual Education Partnership (PAVE). According to it's website, "The Planning and Visual Education Partnership’s objective is to encourage students to study in the field of retail design and planning and visual merchandising through its annual Student Design Competition. Additionally, PAVE seeks to encourage retail management, store planners, visual merchandisers, architects and manufacturers to interact with and support design students."
Interior Design Students Complete Redesign and Presentation
Interior Design Studio IV students recently completed a redesign proposal for the office of Imagewest on the WKU campus. The students interviewed Jenna Warrenfeltz, Director of Imagewest, to determine the needs of her group. The students worked on floorplan, materials and finishes, and digital renderings of the space. After the presentation on April 1, Jenna remarked, "Thank you SO much, Sheila! The interns who were in the office this morning absolutely loved the designs, and they're giving all of us a fresh perspective and energy about what Imagewest can be. We were all thoroughly impressed!"
Imagewest is the only full-service, revenue-generating, student-run advertising and public relations agency in the nation. Students work with real clients in a hands-on and collaborative team setting, from project conception to completion. Imagewest is a distinctive, award-winning agency that has worked on a variety of projects for over 150 clients. Not only does Imagewest cater to local, regional, and national clients, but also recently traveled abroad to work with an international client as well.
FACS Faculty Named Postsecondary Teacher of the Year
Dr. Doris Sikora was presented with the Postsecondary Teacher of the Year 2014-2015 award by the Kentucky Association of Career and Technical Education (KACTE). She will be competing for the national award this fall. Dr. Sikora has provided leadership in the Career and Technical Education (CTE) arena as a high school home economics teacher, a university faculty and as department head of the Family and Consumer Sciences department. She was president of KACTE in 2012-2013 and continued as KACTE President for a second consecutive term in 2013-2014, when the need arose. During this time, Dr. Sikora completed the first National ACTE State Leadership Training Program and initiated and led the Teachers as Leaders--Empowering New Thinking Skills (TALENTS) Teacher Leader Academy. The purpose of this academy is to foster teacher leaders among Kentucky CTE teachers. Dr. Sikora states, "Not many people can say that they have loved their job as much as I do. I have always loved teaching and seeing my students graduate and become successful! I believe that as a teacher and teacher educator my students come first. I need to be an advocate for them, not only all through their education, but also after graduation into their career. Some say that teaching is servant leadership, but I say 'teaching is leading with my heart.'"
HMD Faculty Named Kentucky Dietetic Educator of the Year
Jane Simmons was presented with the Kentucky Dietetic Educator of the Year Award by the Kentucky Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics at their annual meeting in March, 2015. This award is the highest award given to a dietetic educator in the state of Kentucky. Jane is the current Dietetic Internship Director at WKU and has been in this position for three years. She has also been a full-time faculty member in the Hospitality Management & Dietetics program for the past twelve years, and is currently the coordinator for the Hospitality Management/Dietetics area. Her knowledge, skills, experience, and resources are immeasurable and have been a wonderful asset to students, interns, faculty, the HMD program, and the FACS Department. She brings real-world examples to the classroom from her background, and she has adopted innovative methods of teaching. Professionally, she is currently the elected treasurer of the Kentucky Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics and the secretary of the Western District of the Kentucky Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics. We are extremely proud that Jane received this award and that she is a member of our faculty in FACS.
HMD Professor Retires
Dr. Rich Patterson will retire after the Spring 2015 semester. Dr. Patterson came to WKU after he retired from the Army and has taught Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management courses at WKU for the last 23 years. Dr. Patterson also took on the position of Assistant Dean for Facilities in the last few years and oversaw the extensive renovations in the Academic Complex in 2013-2014 and assisted several department moves into and out of the Academic Complex. His immediate plans after retirement are to travel internationally with family members.
New Face Book Presence in FACS
Dr. Darbi Haynes-Lawrence has begun a Face Book page for the child and family area. Search for "Child & Family Studies at WKU" on Face Book to see what is going on in this area and to share your photos or announcements as well.
This new page joins the "WKU Interior Design Program" presence on Face Book that is administered by Sheila Flener. This page has shared student activities, graduates successes, internship and job opportunities, as well as news articles about the Interior Design field since 2011.
FACS Faculty Receive Grant
Dr. Darbi Haynes-Lawrence and Dr. Adam West received a $27,000 grant from the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation to conduct a national study entitled, "Parents with Multiple Sclerosis: Children, Relationships and Resources."
FACS Faculty Member Writes, Directs, and Produces Educational Video
Dr. Darbi Haynes-Lawrence wrote, directed and produced a concussion education video for the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA). This video is the result of a year-long, international study on athletes and their perceptions of concussions. This video will be incorporated into the skaters' annual testing/training.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,