Facebook Pixel WKU Testing Information | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

WKU Testing Information

WKU Testing Information

The WKU Counseling and Testing Center provides students with an opportunity to take a wide variety of tests. For any specific testing questions please do contact the Counseling and Testing Center at (270) 745-3159. The Counseling and Testing Center offers the following tests:

  • American College Test (ACT), National Exam, This exam required for admission to WKU and many other colleges and universities. Application packets may be obtained from the WKU Admission's Office located on the 1st Floor of Potter Hall or by calling (270) 745-2551. For national testing dates and other pertinent information go to the ACT website.
  • American College Test (ACT), Residual Exam, The Residual ACT is designed for those wishing to attend WKU and missed the ACT National test dates. It is given various times throughout the year. The cost is $63 (non-refundable) and the test is scored and the results given immediately upon completion of the exam. Visit the registration information site.
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP), CLEP is the most widely accepted credit-by-exam program in the United States, with more than 2,900 college and universities awarding credit for satisfactory scores on CLEP exams. Since 1967, five million people—adults returning to college, graduating high school seniors, and enrolled college students—have earned college credit through CLEP. WKU is an open test center and will test non-WKU students. For more information regarding CLEP or to register for a CLEP exam visit: http://www.registerblast.com/wku.  Preparation guides and other information is available directly from the CLEP website. A Credit by Exam brochure is available in Room 409 Potter Hall or in Undergraduate Catalog (Page 45).
  • COMPASS, The COMPASS Exam is administered by ACT and is a computer-adaptive placement and assessment system that helps connect incoming freshmen with the appropriate courses they need to achieve academic success. For more information regarding COMPASS please visit: http://www.registerblast.com/wku.
  • Dantes (DSST), WKU is an open test center for administering this exam, however, WKU does not accept credit for DANTES exams. For information regarding DANTES please contact Sharon Ercey.
  • Graduate Record Exam (GRE), WKU does not currently administer the general GRE. Counseling and Testing does administer the paper/pencil subject GRE. Testing locations and other information may be obtained from the GRE website.
  • Law School Admissions Test (LSAT), LSAT information bulletins may be obtained in the History Department located in Room 210 Cherry hall or by calling (270) 745-3842. A general guide and review of various LSAT prep courses can be found here.
  • Math Placement Exam (MPE), The Math Placement Exam is administered through the Academic Transitions Program Office. Please contact them at (270) 745-4242 for additional information.
  • Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT), Visit the MCAT website for more information.
  • Miller Analogies Test (MAT), The MAT is a graduate school admissions exam and must be taken if you want to appy to a graduate school that accepts or requires the MAT for admission. There is a non-refundable $75 fee. Visit the registration information site.
  • National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC), Information regarding this exam can be obtained at the NBCC website or by calling (336) 547-0607.
  • National Board of Dental Hygiene, For more information, read the examination guide at the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations' website.
  • National Teacher's Exam (NTE/Praxis), This exam is required for any student seeking teacher certification in the state of Kentucky. Praxis information bulletins, which contain registration applications and study guides, may be obtained in the Teacher Certification Office in Gary Ransdell Hall 2052. Questions regarding certification guidelines, specific tests needed, or time requirements for completing these exams should be directed to the Teacher Certification Office at (270) 745-4300.
  • Pharmacy College Admissions Test (PCAT), The PCAT information bulletin may be obtained in Room 409 Potter Hall or by calling (270) 745-3159. 
  • State Merit Exams, For more information regarding these exams, please contact the Commonwealth of Kentucky Personnel Cabinet at (502) 564-7602.

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 12/5/18