Facebook Pixel AARC Frequently Asked Questions | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

After logging into TopNet, students will click on the "Student Services" tab. After clicking on this link, students should click on the "Registration" tab followed selecting the "View Advisor Information." tab. This link will provide the advisors name, phone number, email address, and office location so the student may contact the advisor.

If you believe you have the wrong advisor assigned to you, please contact the Advising and Career Development Center at (270) 745-5065. If you are requesting a change in advisor, please fill out the Change of Major/Minor/Advisor form.

Changes in majors, minors, concentrations, and advisors are made upon request by students. Students must submit a Major, Minor, Concentration, Advisor Change Form to the academic department that administers the student’s chosen program. This form is available online for students in TopNet. 

  • Login to your TopNet page, go to the "Student Services" tab.
  • Click on "Student Records"
  • Click on "Change Major, Minor, Concentration, Advisor"
  • Choose your desired major  from the Major 1 drop down menu.
  • Choose Yes, I request an advisor change from the Advisor 1 drop down menu.
  • Submit your requested changes.
  • Confirm your changes.
  • Print out the form and bring it to the location indicated on the bottom of the page for the appropriate signatures (Regional Campus students should bring the form to their Regional Campus advisor for processing).

Students with approved undergraduate degree programs on file in the Office of the Registrar may change their major(s) and/or minor(s) by filing an approved, revised program or an Undergraduate Degree Program Change Form with the Office of the Registrar. For further information please contact the Advising and Career Development Center at (270) 745-5065.

Generally the answer is no. There are advisors at Glasgow, Owensboro, and Elizabethtown/Fort Knox locations to work with you on the requirements of general education and majors offered at each of the Regional Campuses. There are Colleges within WKU that will ocassionally send an academic advisor to the Regional Campuses to advise students for specific programs. For more information on those program, please do contact the main office of the Regional Center in which you are enrolled. 

Yes. All degree-seeking undergraduate students must meet with an academic advisor prior to registration for classes until degree completion. 

iCAP is an acronym for Interactive Curriculum and Academic Progress. Students can obtain personalized, interactive audits displaying progress toward a selected degree. An audit shows all the requirements needed to fulfill a major, minor or concentration and displays the transfer and WKU courses that have been used to satisfy those requirements. Students can run "What-If" audits to compare their coursework against other majors.

To run an iCAP students must first log into TopNet using their Net ID and password. Click on the Student Services tab, then iCAP (Interactive Degree Audit), then Submit Audit. For a report that outlines your Colonnade Plan courses and progress you may just select "Run Audit" at the top. For a hypothetical look at what you would need to do for any particular major you may select "What-If?" do to a What-If Analysis. Select View Submitted Audits and click Refresh until your audit appears.

You may also view a video tutorial on how to run an iCAP here.


Auditing a class means that you will be required to show up to class, participate, and complete all assignments, but you will not receive credit for the class.

You can sign up to audit a class without special permission prior to the first day of the term. After that time, the instructor must grant permission for you to audit a class by signing the course audit form. You should obtain this form in the Office of the Registrar, complete the form, obtain the instructor's signature, and return the form to the Office of the Registrar prior to the deadline for changing from credit to audit, printed in the Academic Calendar in the Registration Guide.


An academic renewal program is available to qualified undergraduate students. Academic renewal prevents the voided coursework from counting toward graduation and the computation of the grade point average; however, the voided coursework will remain a part of the transcript. Qualified undergraduate students must have either at least 60 credit hours (counting hours before and after readmission) or not attended any accredited college or university for at least two previous years. If further courses are required to graduate, students must have a cumulative grade point average, since readmission, of at least 2.0 (with no grade below “D”), computed at the end of the term in which the student completes the lesser of 12 semester hours of courses numbered 100 or above or the number of such hours required to fulfill all other graduation requirements with the exception of GPA.

WKU accepts transfer credit retained through academic renewal at other institutions but will use grades from those courses for the computation of the higher education grade point average.

Students requesting academic renewal are required to complete and submit the “Petition for Academic Renewal” form to their department head or equivalent, indicating whether one semester or all previous coursework is to be voided. The approved form will be sent to the Office of the Registrar for final processing. No student may declare academic renewal more than once.

The student must file a petition to request academic renewal, indicating whether one semester or all previous coursework is to be voided. No student may declare academic renewal more than once. The petition to apply for academic renewal is available on the Office of the Registrar website at http://www.wku.edu/registrar/documents/form_academic_renewal.pdf.

An undergraduate student is permitted to repeat a maximum of six courses. Only two courses in which a grade of “C” or above has been earned may be repeated.
Credit for a course in which a grade of “F” has been received can be earned only by repeating the course in residence unless prior approval is given by the head of the department in which the course was taken. A course in which a grade of “D” has been received may be repeated at another accredited institution.

A course that has been failed cannot be repeated by WKU On Demand (independent learning) without special permission from the department head. A student may not repeat by proficiency testing a course that has been previously taken or failed at WKU or another accredited institution.

If a course is repeated, the higher of the two grades will be counted in computing the grade point average; if the course is repeated a second time, the two higher grades combined will be used in computing the grade point average. The grade received for each attempt will continue to appear on the student’s academic record. A student may attempt a single course no more than three times.
WKU does not guarantee the right to repeat any course. Courses may be deactivated, discontinued, or offered on a different schedule.

The Committee on Credits and Graduation has the responsibility for hearing appeals from students regarding the application of these regulations.
An appeal for special permission to repeat a course in the major or minor beyond the third attempt will be considered only upon the recommendation of the head of the department involved, and then only if special consideration is needed to raise the average in that subject to the minimum required.

Students seeking special consideration to repeat a course beyond the third attempt in the general education requirements and in free electives must first consult with the University Registrar. If, after this conference, an appeal is deemed appropriate, the Committee on Credits and Graduation will consider the student’s request.


Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 10/22/20