Campus Advising Network
Stay tuned for Fall 2018 Information!
The Campus Advising Network (CAN) was formed during the 2006-2007 academic year in response to the academic advising community's request for continuing professional development at WKU. Each semester four to five academic advising "hot topic" sessions are offered in response to the needs of faculty and staff advisors at WKU. For a list of sessions since the creation of CAN, please see below.
The Campus Advising Network has a list-serve allowing for communication of advisors throughout campus. With over 170 members, the list-serve is a great way to have questions answered and share information with colleagues. To be added to this list-serve please contact Keith Clark or call 270-745-5065.
- Feb 22th - "De-Escalation with students" — Tim Gray (UPD) — Verbal de-escalation, how to read body language, how to handle difficult situations; services offered by the CTC for students in distress. (DSU2123 this session only)
- March 1st - "Student-Athletes" — Jashard Justice (Student Athlete Success Center) — Student-Athletes: what their office does, NCAA regulations, what those students face, how can advisors work with SASC.
- March 22nd - "Colonnade Courses & Majors" — Cierra Waller (Coordinator, Student Services - Potter College of Arts & Letters) — Explanation of Colonnade Courses and which majors they work for best.
- April 12th - "Cross-Cultural Communication" — with Dr. Kumi Ishii (Associate Professor - Communication).
- May 3rd - "Academic Advisor Recognition" — TBD