Receive Updates from The Center
Connect with The Center via Social Media
Educational Opportunity Dates
Click the Calendar link for other dates, maps, and greater detail.
TAG FALL INSTITUTE
September 12, 2014
FALL BREAK IN SPAIN
October 3 - 12, 2014
FALL SUPER SATURDAYS
November 1, 8, 15, and 22, 2014
TWICE EXCEPTIONAL LEARNERS SEMINAR
November 5, 2014
June 21 - July 11, 2015
ADVANCED PLACEMENT SUMMER INSTITUTE
June 22 - 26, 2015
THE SUMMER CAMP
July 13 - 17, 2015
The Summer Program for Verbally and Mathematically Precocious Youth
VAMPY, the Summer Program for Verbally and Mathematically Precocious Youth, assembles some of the brightest and most enthusiastic minds from counties around the Commonwealth, states across the nation, and countries all over the world. The VAMPY community reflects the diverse backgrounds, interests, and pursuits of its students who all have at least one thing in common: a love of learning.
Since 1984, The Center for Gifted Studies through a cooperative agreement with the Duke Talent Identification Program (TIP), has made the VAMPY experience the centerpiece of summer vacation for hundreds of seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth graders. Each summer more than 200 students spend three weeks living on the Western Kentucky University campus in Bowling Green, KY, studying one topic in great depth. For gifted and talented students who crave knowledge and academic challenge, VAMPY offers a life-changing world of both learning and friendship.
The primary emphasis of VAMPY is academics. VAMPY’s rigorous educational environment reminds students that learning is an enjoyable process. Students spend six hours a day immersed in a topic of their choosing that ignites their curiosity and inspires their thinking. VAMPY instructors are veteran teachers, college professors, and experts in their fields. When not in class, students are playing sports, participating in cookouts, dances, and talent shows, or hanging out on the lawn in front of their residence hall, playing music, making crafts, and getting to know one another. VAMPY allows gifted students the opportunity to forge lifelong friendships with other young people who are also passionate about learning.
One participant described the VAMPY experience as "one of the most wonderful, enriching, and memorable of my life. I learned immeasurable things about myself as well as the subjects I studied… The knowledge and wisdom I gained through The Center has proven invaluable.”
2015 VAMPY Important Information
Dates: June 21 - July 11, 2015
- Students must be completing 7th - 10th grade this year.
- Students must have an ACT or SAT score that qualifies them for their chosen VAMPY course. (Please refer to the course descriptions below for what was required last year.) A photocopy of the applicant's ACT or SAT report is required with application.
- All campers must live on campus during VAMPY.
- Tuition for most 2014 VAMPY classes was $2,700. (Exceptions are those that go on certain field trips)
- A non-refundable deposit of $300 was due with application. The tuition balance is due on or before June 1, 2015. Visa, Discover, and MasterCard are accepted for payment. Limited financial assistance is available.
- A blog was kept daily by VAMPY Counselors VAMPY Teachers and Center staff throughout VAMPY 2014. CLICK HERE or go to vampyblog.org to see what happened during VAMPY 2014 and what VAMPY 2015 could be like !
Parents Pick Up Form
- Please CLICK HERE to view and download the parent pick up form. This form is for parents who would like to pick up their child, and is limited to parents of the students only.
The Center encourages students to apply as early as possible. Qualified participants will be accepted and placed in classes in the order applications are received.
Spotlight on The Center's Summer Programs