CLICK FOR HOME
Receive Updates from The Center
Connect with The Center via Social Media
Educational Opportunity Dates
Click the Calendar link for other dates, maps, and greater detail.
DUKE TIP CEREMONY
May 23, 2014
June 8 - 20, 2014
June 22 - July 12, 2014
AP SUMMER INSTITUTE
June 23 - 27, 2014
THE SUMMER CAMP
July 14 - 18, 2014
FALL BREAK IN SPAIN
October 3 - 12, 2014
FALL SUPER SATURDAYS
November 1, 8, 15, and 22, 2014
WINTER SUPER SATURDAYS
February 7, 14, 21, and 28, 2015
The Summer Program for Verbally and Mathematically Precocious Youth
VAMPY, the Summer Program for Verbally and Mathematically Precocious Youth, assembles some of the brightest and most enthusiastic minds from counties around the Commonwealth, states across the nation, and countries all over the world. The VAMPY community reflects the diverse backgrounds, interests, and pursuits of its students who all have at least one thing in common: a love of learning.
Since 1984, The Center for Gifted Studies through a cooperative agreement with the Duke Talent Identification Program (TIP), has made the VAMPY experience the centerpiece of summer vacation for hundreds of seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth graders. Each summer more than 200 students spend three weeks living on the Western Kentucky University campus in Bowling Green, KY, studying one topic in great depth. For gifted and talented students who crave knowledge and academic challenge, VAMPY offers a life-changing world of both learning and friendship.
The primary emphasis of VAMPY is academics. VAMPY’s rigorous educational environment reminds students that learning is an enjoyable process. Students spend six hours a day immersed in a topic of their choosing that ignites their curiosity and inspires their thinking. VAMPY instructors are veteran teachers, college professors, and experts in their fields. When not in class, students are playing sports, participating in cookouts, dances, and talent shows, or hanging out on the lawn in front of their residence hall, playing music, making crafts, and getting to know one another. VAMPY allows gifted students the opportunity to forge lifelong friendships with other young people who are also passionate about learning.
One participant described the VAMPY experience as "one of the most wonderful, enriching, and memorable of my life. I learned immeasurable things about myself as well as the subjects I studied… The knowledge and wisdom I gained through The Center has proven invaluable.”
2014 VAMPY Important Information
Dates: June 22 - July 12, 2014
- Students must be completing 7th - 10th grade this year.
- Students must have an ACT or SAT score that qualifies them for their chosen VAMPY course. (Please refer to the 2013 application to find these scores.) A photocopy of the applicant's ACT or SAT report is required with application.
- All campers must live on campus during VAMPY.
- Tuition for most 2014 VAMPY classes is $2,700.
- A non-refundable deposit of $300 was due with application. The tuition balance is due on or before June 1, 2014. Visa, Discover, and MasterCard are accepted for payment. Limited financial assistance is available.
- A blog was kept by VAMPY Counselors and Center staff throughout the 2013 camp. CLICK HERE or go to http://gifted-studies.com/campblog to review all the events that took place in 2013 and see what the 2014 VAMPY Camp may look like!
The Center encourages students to apply as early as possible. Qualified participants will be accepted and placed in classes in the order applications are received.
Spotlight on The Center's Summer Programs