What is SKyTeach?
- A unique collaborative program between the Ogden College of Science and Engineering and the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences at WKU.
- Includes partnerships with 10 of 35 school districts in the Green River Regional Educational Cooperative (GRREC).
- 1 of 13 teacher education programs in the U.S. awarded a grant by the National Math and Science Initiative (NMSI) to model their program after UTeach, a highly successful math and science teacher preparation program at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Addresses region’s critical demand for STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) teachers.
- Prepares outstanding middle and high school math and science teachers ready to teach right after earning their Bachelor’s degree.
- A four-year program that leads to a degree in Mathematics or Science and a Kentucky teaching license.
- SKyTeach program currently has over 250 students enrolled in SMED courses.
SKyTeach does not have its own faculty, instead borrows faculty from departments across the university to teach the SMED courses.
Our Master Teachers are experienced former middle and high school teachers. They teach a variety of courses
and provide mentoring throughout the program. Six Master Teachers currently serve
as SKyTeach clinical faculty.
We also depend on local Mentor Teachers who are experienced elementary, middle and high school teachers. They support SKyTeach students during their field experiences with feedback on lesson planning, teaching strategies, classroom management and other important issues.
SKyTeach students are predominantly WKU undergraduates majoring in math or science who are just beginning to explore the teaching career. They teach science and math lessons to elementary school students their first semester and continue to gain valuable teaching experience at the middle/high school levels throughout the program. They receive instruction in professional education courses that emphasize STEM disciplines and strengthen pedagogical content knowledge. They also learn in a dynamic group environment and are continuously supported by the organization.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,