Scanning and Transmission Electron Microscopy
- JEOL 1400PLUS 120kV (top right) Transmission electron microscope with an IXRF energy dispersive x-ray spectrometer and cryo-fin. Imaging is with an AMT 8 Mpixel camera. Specimen holders include a standard “quick change” holder, a beryllium holder for use with the spectrometer, a high tilt (+/- 70 degrees) holder for automated tilt tomography using “SerialEM” software, and a Gatan Model 914 high tilt cryo holder with a 655 pumping station and 900 temperature controller. Acquired with an NSF MRI grant in 2014.
- JEOL 6510LV 30kV (bottom right) Scanning electron microscope with an IXRF energy dispersive X-ray spectrometer supporting both secondary electron and backscattered electron imaging. Nonconductive samples can be imaged using the variable pressure “low vacuum” mode. A variety of mounts are available to image samples as large as 3x6x2 inches. Acquired with an NSF MRI grant in 2015.
Capabilities of Microscope
- JEOL 1400PLUS Transmission electron microscope: Resolution routinely to 0.8 nm.
- JEOL 6510LV 30kV Scanning electron microscope: Resolution routinely to 10 nm; EDS sensitivity is 1 part per 200 in a 1 pg sample.
- JEOL 1400PLUS: Fee for external users: $97.50/hour with full assistance. Preparation costs are $32.50/hour.
- JEOL 6510: Fee for external users: $65/hour with full assistance. Preparation costs are $32.50/hour.
For more information please contact John Andersland (firstname.lastname@example.org).
JEOL1400 Plus Transmission electron microscope
JEOL6510 LV Scanning electron microscope
Leica TCS SP8 Laser Scanning Confocal Microscope with four laser lines and associated optics.
Agilent 5500 Atomic Force Microscope for surface imaging at the nanometer scale.
Unit can handle complete parts up to 1.5 meters Square and weighing up to 600 lbs. of weight EDX, EHT and Backscatter Detectors are on board with other types available EBDX (crystal structure ) ECT.
Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.