Independent Study in Psychological Sciences
Are you interested in conducting psychological research? Did you know you can earn course credit for working in a research lab? The Department of Psychological Sciences offers two independent study courses for undergraduates interested in gaining research experience:
PSYS 290: Independent Study (1-3 credits)
Prerequisite: PSYS 100 / PSY 100.
Course Description: Directed readings or research under faculty supervision. Students must make their own arrangements in advance for supervision by a faculty member. Does not count towards completion of the major in psychological sciences.
PSYS 490: Independent Study (1-3 credits)
Prerequisite(s): PSY 100 / PSYS 100, junior standing, and permission of the faculty project supervisor.
Course Description: Advanced students will conduct research and / or readings or projects concerning issues in psychology under the direction of faculty members. The course may be repeated. Only three hours will count toward completion of the psychological sciences major/minor.
Note: Only 3 credit hours of PSYS 490 can count towards the 37-hour major and only 6 credit hours of PSYS 490 can count towards for the 49-hour extended major. Talk to your advisor and research mentor about making sure that your PSYS 490 is appropriate for your declared concentration.
Typical activities for an independent study experience include participating in research study design, data collection, presentation of research findings, and/or other activities supporting one or more research projects.
To enroll in an independent study course, follow the steps below:
- Contact a faculty member who conducts research that sounds interesting to you. See our Research Labs webpage for more information about faculty research projects. Most faculty members will have you complete a brief application and/or interview to see if you would be a good fit for their research team.
- Once a faculty member has agreed to supervise your independent study experience, determine a) which independent study course you want to take (i.e, PSYS 290 or PSYS 490) and b) the number of credit hours you want to enroll in. You may take 1, 2, or 3 credit hours per term.
- Complete the Independent Study Approval Form. Upon approval, you will receive an email providing instructions on how to register for the course.
- B.S. in Psychological Sciences
- Graduate courses
- Schedule of classes (WKU TopNet)
- Relationship between old and new course listings.
Psychological Sciences3074 Gary Ransdell Hall (270) 745-3918
Tweets by @PsySciencesWKU
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,