WKU Graduate Student Receives ACHCA Scholarship
|Date: Friday, December 13th, 2013||Return to Archive|
* Please visit http://wkunews.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/hayden-scholarship/ to read the original story that is posted on WKU News.
Darla Hayden of Henderson, a student in WKU’s Master of Health Administration program, is one of two recipients of the W. Phillip McConnell Scholarship from the American College of Health Care Administrators.
Hayden will use the $1,500 scholarship to attend the 48th Annual ACHCA Convocation and Exposition in Las Vegas in April. She is the first WKU student to receive the scholarship or attend the convocation.
Nearly 400 administrators, executives and other leaders in long term care will gather April 5-9 to network, learn, earn continuing education and celebrate award winners. In addition, there is a student poster exhibition and education sessions that focus on a variety of topics to include marketing, mentoring, leadership and more.
“I am eager for April roll around so I can attend ACHCA’s 48th Annual Convocation and Exposition,” Hayden said. “Dr. Dana Burr Bradley and Mrs. Melanie Eaton have both encouraged and helped me reach for my life goals in long term care and working with older adults. I feel very honored to have been chosen as a recipient of the W.P. McConnell Student Scholarship.”
As part of the application process, Hayden was required to describe her intentions for a future in long term care administration, to include her goals, what drives her to excel and what she believes her contributions will be to the profession. The following is an excerpt from her application: “A profound lady by the name Harriet Tubman once said ‘Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars and change the world.’ ”
Dr. William N. Mkanta, Master of Health Administration Program Director and Associate Professor in the Department of Public Health, said: “Winning this scholarship is such a great honor to the Master of Health Administration program at WKU. It represents Ms. Hayden’s and WKU’s commitment to excellence in future leadership roles in long term care. Through this scholarship, Ms. Hayden will bring regional and eventually national spotlight to our Long-term Care Administration Certificate Program. We feel very privileged to be part of the supportive American College of Health Care Administrators (ACHCA) family in this process.”
Administered by the Ohio Chapter of the American College of Health Care Administrators (ACHCA), the W. Phillip McConnell Scholarship Fund sponsors two students to attend the Spring ACHCA Convocation. One of the students receiving the McConnell Scholarship must live in Ohio while the other student is selected from the pool of applicants. Each recipient will be provided up to $1,500 toward one full conference registration, travel and lodging to the ACHCA national meeting.
“This scholarship is being generously donated from the W. Phillip McConnell Scholarship Fund in memory of Phil McConnell, a past president of the Ohio ACHCA Chapter who devoted his life to the advancement of long term care administration and the efforts of ACHCA,” said Cydney M. Bare, director of the District 3 ACHCA Chapter, ACHCA Fellow and Certified Nursing Home Administrator (CNHA). “The Ohio Chapter of ACHCA believes that the quality of care and life in a nursing center begins with the Administrator’s quality of education. Ms. Hayden expressed a true passion for working in long term care, specifically with those needing memory care services, and we believe she has a bright future in this profession.”
Founded in 1962, the American College of Health Care Administrators (ACHCA) is the only professional association devoted solely to meeting the professional needs of today’s long term care administrators and executives. Focusing on advancing leadership excellence, ACHCA provides professional education and certification to administrators from across the spectrum of long term care. For information about ACHCA and the 2014 Convocation Student Poster Exhibition, contact the national office at (202) 536-5120 or visit www.achca.org.
- For information about WKU’s Master of Health Administration, contact Dr. William Mkanta at William.Mkanta@wku.edu.
- For information about the Long-term Care Administration Certificate Program, contact Melanie Eaton at Melanie.Eaton@wku.edu or 270-745-5854.
- For information about WKU Aging and the Center for Gerontology, contact Dr. Dana Burr Bradley at Dana.Bradley@wku.edu
Contact: Melanie Eaton, (270) 745-5854 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All Categories
- March 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- April 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- JUNE 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- December 2015 ICYMI
- January 2016 ICYMI
- MAY 2016 ICYMI
- February 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS July 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Event & Training Services
Don’t worry; there are a few steps that you can take early in the process to ensure that you’re able to find the right fit.
The Kentucky Folklife Program, housed in WKU’s Department of Folk Studies & Anthropology in Bowling Green, is serving as a regional host partner for the 2017 Rural-Urban Exchange Community Intensive.
Two Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science in Kentucky students are spending their summer completing research internships in South Korea. The 10-week internships are in the Chemistry Department of Changwon National University.
This year for Dr. Josh Durkee’s annual Field Methods in Weather Analysis and Forecasting class, the students had some extra support in the form of WKU’s new crowdsource funding project, Spirit Funder.
The WKU Board of Regents will hold a special budget approval meeting and committee meetings on June 23 in the Martin Regents Room, Jody Richards Hall.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,