Writing Center Resources for Writers
View our Film of Dr. Fife's Presentation for Writers:
Other Resources from the Web:
- STEPS (Students Teaching English Paper Strategies): This web site is designed for students, by students, to provide a doable process for analyzing literature and writing about it.
- Most Common Errors Website: This site lists the most common errors in college student writing and explains how to fix them.
- Exercise Central: Website with Diagnostic Quiz and Practice Exercises: Sign in to take the free quiz under "personal study plan" and do exercises related to your most common errors.
- Penguin ESL Common Errors Workbook: This site explains common errors and offers online exercises.
- The Purdue OWL: General Writing Resources: This site features writing exercises and information about the mechanics of writing.
- Proofreading Techniques handout: Some tips from Dr. Jane Fife on how to proofread your writing.
How Students Can Use Writing Center Consultations:
- Make frequent appointments with the Writing Center to help keep you on schedule with your drafting.
- Discuss using writing to draft ideas.
- Discuss an effective writing process for you.
- Diagnose your common errors and explain how to fix them.
- Discuss examples of research articles in your discipline to better notice the conventions to apply in your writing.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,