Resources for Thesis Writers
Videos from our workshop series for thesis writers:
- Managing Your Time and Avoiding Writer's Block
- Major Editing Errors
- Revising Sentences for Clarity
- Getting Started, Getting Finished: Productive Practices for Large Writing Projects
- Most Common Errors Website: This site lists the most common errors in college student writing and explains how to fix them.
- Exercise Central: Website with Diagnostic Quiz and Practice Exercises: Sign in to take the free quiz under "personal study plan" and do exercises related to your most common errors.
- Penguin ESL Common Errors Workbook: This site explains common errors and offers online exercises.
- The Purdue OWL: General Writing Resources: This site features writing exercises and information about the mechanics of writing.
- Proofreading Techniques handout: Some tips from Dr. Jane Fife on how to proofread your writing.
The Writing Center will be developing a library of theses and articles from the disciplines and training our tutors to recognize some general patterns of difference.
Faculty can help by recommending outstanding theses and sample articles.
How Students Can Use Writing Center Consultations:
- Make frequent appointments with the Writing Center to help keep you on schedule with your drafting.
- Discuss using writing to draft ideas (but rely on your faculty advisor to respond to and evaluate these ideas).
- Discuss an effective writing process for you.
- Diagnose your common errors and explain how to fix them.
- Discuss examples of research articles in your discipline to better notice the conventions to apply in your writing (but also confirm your understanding of these conventions with your faculty advisor).
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,