Gatton Academy senior develops, releases commercial app
|Date: Friday, January 17th, 2014||Return|
Gatton Academy senior Ethan Gill of Bowling Green has developed and released his first commercial application for iOS devices.
Gill developed his HueHueHue app out of personal necessity. “I own Philips Hue lights which are supposed to make your life easier,” he said.
Hue lights are a wireless lighting system for the home that can be remotely controlled by a smart device to turn on or off and to emit various colors and shades. “However, having to unlock my phone and wait for an app to load ended up being slower than just turning off a light switch,” he said.
His HueHueHue app resolves this “simple” issue allowing the user to toggle Hue lights with a simple action on an iPhone or iPad. Once configured, the app can even run when the screen is locked, simplifying the process and saving the user time.
WKU’s winter and summer terms provide Gatton Academy students additional time needed to explore and develop their unique passions. During the 2013 summer term, Gill was awarded the Gatton Academy Research Internship allowing him to conduct computer science research under the direction of Dr. James Gary, Associate Professor of Computer Science and Department Head.
Currently, Gill is developing apps and attending national programming competitions during WKU’s winter term as part of his Gatton Academy winter term learning project.
“Gatton Academy students undertake a range of activities during winter term. From classes to study abroad to community service to job shadowing, we ensure that every Academy student is active in their learning during the university’s three-week intersession,” said Derick Strode, Assistant Director of Academic Services at the Gatton Academy. “Ethan’s pursuits in programming are an exact model of how students are using winter term to creatively advance their learning, research, and career goals.”
Gill’s application for compatible iOS devices is available on Cydia at http://moreinfo.thebigboss.org/moreinfo/depiction.php?file=huehuehueDp
Contact: Chad Phillips, (270) 745-6565.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- March 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- April 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- December 2015 ICYMI
- January 2016 ICYMI
- MAY 2016 ICYMI
- February 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
5/31 - 6/1
Last week WKU faculty, students and alumni attended the Kentucky Chapter of the American Planning Association conference at the Sloan Convention Center in Bowling Green.
Need to reach us over the summer? Don't forget that our hours change! Click to find full dates and times of opening.
Eura Shin, a second-year student at The Gatton Academy, has received a funded summer internship in Germany through a competitive, international scholarship.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,