Biotechnology Certification Program FAQ's
What can I learn from this program?
The skills you develop in the certification program will benefit you in your coursework, make you more competitive for jobs and graduate assistantships upon graduation, and to see firsthand what being a professional scientist is really like.
- Basic laboratory mathematics and how to make solutions properly.
- Instruction in the safe operation of laboratory equipment.
- Laboratory record-keeping.
- Growth and maintenance of microbial cultures.
- Pipetting and Spectrophotometry.
- DNA and Protein isolation and manipulation.
- Skills as a team member working in a research team.
What kind of commitment is required ?
- Attendance to weekly class meetings once per week for 8 weeks as well as additional lab work outside of class time during that 8 weeks.
- Due to the nature of research, at times you may have to stay later than the 4-hour time slot without prior knowledge. This is simply the nature of real research.
- This is not a class in which you are 'taught" all background information. If you have not taken any (or few) college level biology courses, you WILL NEED to spend a considerable amount of time looking up concepts which you have not had previously in a class. You are expected to do some amount of "self study".
How do I apply?
- Complete the Online Application Form by the deadline indicated.