- Studying Psychology
- Experiencing Psychology
- Careers in Psychology
- Regional Campuses
- About the Department
- Mission Statement
- Contact Us
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
PSY 290 / PSYS 290 - Supervised Study in PsychologyThis course is also known as an Independent Study.
Course Description: Directed readings or research under faculty supervision. Students must make their own arrangements in advance for supervision by a faculty member. May be repeated for a total of up to six hours, with no more than three hours counted in
- the first 37 hours for Psychology majors 2013-14 and prior or
- the first 31 hours for Psychology majors 2014-15 forward.
Typical Responsibilities of the 290 student: This course is open to students at any level (freshmen to senior). It is an introduction to research in psychology. Students typically work in a professor's research lab helping collect data and supporting other aspects of an existing project.
In comparison Psy/PsyS 490 projects involve more student ownership of the research project from start to finish. The student may be involved in planning, implementation and writing/presenting results.
Credit Hours: Course may be taken for 1, 2, or 3 credit hours. Course credit is based on the the nature of the project and approval of the faculty project supervisor.
As a rough guideline, a person earning 1 hour of credit will work about 3-5 hours/week, for 2 hours of credit about 6 to 8 hours/week and for 3 hours of credit about 9 or more hours/week.
Prerequisites: PSY 100 / PSYS 100.
Steps to Sign up for Psy 290/PsyS 290
- Identify potential faculty members with whom you might want to work. Information is available at the Research Page.It is the student's responsibility, through discussions with individual faculty, to identify a project supervisor.
- Meet with the potential faculty member to determine if they have a placement for you on their research team. They will become your Faculty Supervisor for your project.
- Work with your Faculty Supervisor to complete the CEBS Independent Study Approval Request Form (pdf).
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,