- Studying Psychology
- Experiencing Psychology
- Careers in Psychology
- Regional Campuses
- About the Department
- Mission Statement
- Contact Us
- College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
Press Enter to Search
PSY 290 - Supervised Study in PsychologyThis course is also known as an Independent Study.
Course Description: Directed readings or research under faculty supervision. Students must make their own arrangements in advance for supervision by a faculty member. May be repeated for a total of up to six hours, with no more than three hours counted in
- the first 37 hours for Psychology majors 2013-14 and prior or
- the first 31 hours for Psychology majors 2014-15 forward.
Typical Responsibilities of the 290 student: This course is open to students at any level (freshmen to senior). It is an introduction to research in psychology. Students typically work in a professor's research lab helping collect data and supporting other aspects of an existing project.
In comparison Psy 490 projects involve more student ownership of the research project from start to finish. The student may be involved in planning, implementation and writing/presenting results.
Credit Hours: Course may be taken for 1, 2, or 3 credit hours. Course credit is based on the the nature of the project and approval of the faculty project supervisor.
As a rough guideline, a person earning 1 hour of credit will work about 3-5 hours/week, for 2 hours of credit about 6 to 8 hours/week and for 3 hours of credit about 9 or more hours/week.
Prerequisites: PSY 100 / PSYS 100.
Steps to Sign up for Psy 290
- Identify potential faculty members with whom you might want to work. Information is available at the Research Page.It is the student's responsibility, through discussions with individual faculty, to identify a project supervisor.
- Meet with the potential faculty member to determine if they have a placement for you on their research team. They will become your Faculty Supervisor for your project.
- Work with your Faculty Supervisor to complete the CEBS Independent Study Approval Request Form.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,