- Studying Psychology
- Experiencing Psychology
- Careers in Psychology
- Regional Campuses
- About the Department
- Mission Statement
- Contact Us
- College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
Press Enter to Search
Careers in Psychology
Psychology is a good liberal arts degree that prepares you for many careers. Only 25% of graduates stay in a field directly related to psychology. Forty percent work for business/other for-profit organizations; 20-30% work in education; and 30% in non-profits including government.
According to the College Majors Handbook the top 10 occupations for Psychology majors are management, sales, social work, personnel, health care, marketing, and financial specialists.
Use the WKU Center for Career and Professional Development
Explore quality resources from other locations
- Visit What Can I Do With This Major? Psychology for a list of possible occupations and guidance on requirements.
- To explore related fields select the home page: What Can I Do With This Major? And choose “Connect Majors to Careers” in the lower left.
- What is the current state and future trends for careers in psychology? Visit the Occupational Outlook Handbook from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Psychology Career Resource Guide is a site listing non-commercial information. You can drill down into a subspecialty in psychology.
- Visit the non-profit organization site, Career Cornerstone Center: Psychology.
- Where Will a Career in Psychology Take You? This site has sections about careers, programs and articles by psychologists describing their career paths (select "Psychology Experts"). Note: this site seems to be sponsored by for-profit educational institutions. Be cautious about referrals to schools from this location. There are more options than listed.
Fields that are common second majors/minors or graduate paths for Psychology Majors.
- Clinical and Community Behavioral Health Minor
- Psychology Graduate Programs in Clinical and in School Psychology
- Nonprofit Administration
- Counseling and Student Affairs
- Special Education
- Social Work
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Kinesiology, Recreation and Sport
- Applied Data Analytics, Undergraduate Certificate
- Psychological Science
- Journalism & Broadcasting
- Sociology (for example, Criminology)
- Gender and Women’s Studies
- Long term Care Administration Undergraduate Certificate
- Legal Studies and Pre-Law
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,