Skip to main content
Western Kentucky University

Here To Help

Here to Help

Here to Help is the on-line mental health information page sponsored by the Counseling and Testing Center at Western Kentucky University. Here you can ask questions about school, relationships, personal issues, or just about life in general. You are welcome to ask a question, or browse previous questions and responses.

Questions are submitted via email, so a response will be sent to you personally.  All questions will be answered by Counseling and Testing Center Staff. 

If you are in emotional crisis, PLEASE DO NOT RELY ON THIS SERVICE FOR HELP. Please come to the Counseling and Testing Center (745-3159) on the fourth floor of Potter Hall. If you are in crisis after hours, please call the Help Line 24 hour emergency service at 843-4357.

Click here to ask us a question.

Archive of recent questions coming soon.


I am trying to recoup from all of the crazy things that have happened in my life lately. I am trying to do my best in school and get my GPA up because I failed classes when I ended up homeless. I'm going through a lot of financial problems, and the one person I thought that could help me emotionally and mentally get through things, my boyfriend, has become a completely different person. Recently we have had a very resentful attitude with each other. He didn't go to college in order to stay near me but he vowed to help me get through. We have moved many times, he would rather run around than to work a shift he doesn't like, and he swears that he wants to be a "grown up" but he acts worse now than he did a few years ago. I want this to work but I'm scared things will get so violent between us that one of us will end up really hurt in the end. I know you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped, but he is making me an angry person & it feels like he is pushing me away on purpose instead of just talking to me. Dealing with the problems with him & making great grades & trying to pay for college plus the other things that I have to pay for has really started taking a toll on me. I need a way to balance my life again and get back to the happy go lucky me.

Hi, thank you for your note. It certainly sounds like you and your boyfriend have hit a rough patch. Like you, I’m also concerned that things may become violent. If you are arguing and you feel escalating toward violence, immediately take a break from the argument. Both of you can go somewhere to cool off and then start discussing the problem again when you are calm.

Counseling is an option too. You can come in and work with someone individually to work out your feelings about the relationship. We also offer couples counseling which may improve your communication skills and teach you to argue productively. If you would like to set up an appointment, please call 745-3159. We can usually get someone within a day or two.

I hope this helps.



               Report It

Complaints of sexual misconduct/assault, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking harassment


Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 6/24/15