- Command Staff
- Crime Stoppers
- Emergency &
- Field Operations
- Message from the Chief
- Professional Standards
- Ride-A-Long Form
WKU Police Department on
View from the Hill
Communications Officer Position Description
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Reports to Captain of Communications/Staff Services. Under general supervision by Patrol Sergeant, a person in this position is responsible for dispatching police officers on police and emergency calls upon requests and student patrol persons on service request calls, keeping records on all calls dispatched operating the LINK/NCIC terminal to provide information to police officers and other agencies, meeting and dealing with the public tactfully and courteously.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Receives complaints and requests from the public concerning emergencies, crimes and service calls.
- Dispatches police officers on emergencies, police calls and service calls. Makes a judgement as to priority of calls and dispatches officers accordingly.
- Dispatches wrecker services.
- Dispatches student patrol on service calls.
- Keeps records of every dispatched call (includes time call received, time officer dispatched, time officer arrived at scene, time call completed, nature of call, officer dispatched, and disposition of call).
- Gives various instructions to both officers and student patrol persons on duty.
- Dispatches maintenance workers on maintenance calls after regular duty hours.
- Disseminates, where appropriate, information to other police departments (Bowling Green, Sheriff's and State Police).
- Operates computer terminal, LINK,NLETS and CCHI system (National Crime Information Center and Law Enforcement Network of Kentucky).
- Makes entries of stolen items, wanted persons, vehicle registration checks, plus numerous other items.
- Maintains LINK/NCIC file system, CCHI Log, missing person file.
- Monitors ADT alarm system (burglary and fire).
- Maintains a log of radio and University master keys for officer check out.
- Operates and maintains recording system.
- Operates in -house personal computer and student information terminal.
- Issues temporary parking permits after regular business hours.
- Answers requests for information from the public in a tactful, courteous manner.
- Performs related duties as required.
Education: High school diploma or GED equivalency.
Training: On the job training and successful completion of training courses state mandated 160 hours Telecommunications Academy. Mandatory In-Service required 8 hours annually and 16 hours every two years.
Skills: Ability to receive and transmit emergency messages where accuracy is essential. Should be qualified typist (45 WPM) in order to make transition to LINK/NCIC computer terminals. Computer skills preferred. Should be able to perform under pressure generated by many simultaneous demands for time and attention from the operations and the public. Thorough knowledge of standard operating procedures, especially dispatching procedures of the Communications Center. Knowledge of, or ability to learn, the operation of the LINK/NCIC computer terminal. Must be able to read computer printout and visual alarm systems. Ability to speak in a clear, well-modulated voice and to remain calm during emergency situations Ability to work quickly and efficiently. Ability to deal with the public in a tactful and courteous manner.
Experience: Experience in clerical duties, typing, filing. Must be emotionally mature.
Physical: Free of any physical, emotional or mental condition which might adversely affect their employment performance.
© 2011 WKU Police Department / 508 / ADA Compliant
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,