Athletes have a unique position on college campuses---they often are seen as student leaders. They multi-task, are often driven, and must get up early for practice and pre-season sessions. With these pressures and balancing so many tasks, athletes often experience excessive stress or have difficulty keeping up with demands from their parents, coaches, professors and friends.
Counseling offers a way for student athletes to manage their lives given the high demands placed on them. Counseling services are confidential (i.e., no information goes to parents or coaches without student's permission).
Suggestions for coaches & trainers.
- You have a special role in the lives of your student athletes. They listen to you and your suggestions. If you give them the impression counseling is an OK choice, they will believe you.
- You can help the student overcome the idea counseling is just for the "weak". Counseling--like practice and training--provides students opportunities to build skills. In counseling, the skills developed provide the students the tools needed to better manage their academic, social, and personal obligations.
- If you notice a behavior (e.g., drinking, anger, isolation, social conflicts) with a student, consider a referral to Counseling & Testing Center to help address these problems.
- American Counseling Association
- American Psychological Association
- Barren River Area Safe Space
- Hope Harbor Sexual Assault Prevention
- Kentucky Alcoholics Anonymous
- Kentucky Board for Professional Counselors
- Kentucky Psychological Association
- Medical Center of Bowling Green
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- QPR Institute
- Suicide Prevention Research Center
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,