The Chinese Language Flagship Pilot Program at WKU became the 9th such program in the nation in 2009. Sponsored by The Language Flagship, an initiative of the National Security Education Program within the Defense Language and National Security Education Office, our program seeks to bring students from the beginning level of Chinese proficiency to the Superior level during their undergraduate career. Students take Flagship courses every semester in addition to their major or minor coursework, with the intent to reach professional proficiency in the language. Students also participate in many funded intensive Chinese language opportunities in the U.S. and China during the Winter or Summer terms. All students, upon reaching the Advanced-Mid level of proficiency, may apply for participation in a Capstone Year in China. The Capstone Year consists of one semester of direct enrollment at Nanjing University, followed by a 4-6 month professional internship in their field of study in China. Students who complete this requirement and test at the Superior level will receive certification through the National Security Education Program.
- Are all students in the Honors College at WKU,
- Represent 21 degree programs across all 5 of WKU’s academic colleges,
- With few exceptions, start the program with no prior knowledge of Chinese,
- Include 3 graduates of The Carol Martin Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science in Kentucky,
- Typically travel to China at least once per year,
- Engage in Chinese class 5 days a week and spend additional time with tutors, and
- Are successfully applying for nationally competitive scholarships
Chinese Flagship Program at WKU is seeking applications for the position of Academic Director.
Events & Deadlines
August 25- First Day of Classes
September 6- Annual WKU Flagship Orientation
September TBA- Capstone Application Workshop
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,