Vet to Vet Sponsorship Program
The purpose of the VET-2-VET Peer Sponsorship program is to provide assistance to incoming student veterans who are transitioning from military service to college life. Returning student veterans can be great sponsors because they have "walked the walk" recently.
Interested in becoming a sponsor fill out the below application and SVA will match you with an incoming veteran
Expectation of a sponsor.
- Initiate first contact by calling the incoming student veteran. If you get a voice mail, ask them to call back at a specific time when you know you will be available. If you do not hear back, continue to make contact by all available means.
- Arrange for a face-to-face meeting on campus. Take the incoming student veteran on a tour of the campus (give them a campus map) and if possible show them around Bowling Green.
- Share your knowledge of what's where, where to go for assistance, places to shop, eat, live, etc. Offer assistance as appropriate.
- Maintain regular contact with your peer mentor, preferably face-to-face at least once a week. If there is a problem, refer the student veteran to the appropriate resource.
- Always ask about academic progress and offer encouragement or suggestions for finding help if needed.
- Participate together in WKU SVA activities or recreational programming opportunities.
- Care! Be available and reliable. If you want to know more about ask one of the WKU SVA leaders.