The President's Award for Sustainability honors individuals who exhibit excellence in supporting WKU’s commitment to sustainability. Such efforts include demonstrating exemplary practices and sharing solutions, incorporating sustainability into existing programs, and implementing innovative ideas.
For consideration, nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Lead by example by demonstrating leadership in education and/or activities that promote sustainability at WKU and instill a culture of stewardship, conservation, and social responsibility.
- Engage others in efforts to advance sustainability in campus operations, culture, and/or academics.
- Pursue these efforts above and beyond what is expected of them as a student or employee.
Please note: All nominees will be judged on the above criteria and will be judged only on the information provided by the nominator.
Types of Awards
- (Award amount is $500 and may be subject to withholding taxes.) Western Kentucky University Student: Nominee must be a full time student, in good academic and financial standing with the university.
- Western Kentucky University Faculty or Staff: Nominee must be employed by Western
Kentucky University as a faculty or staff member or a contracted employee.
Nominations for the award will be accepted by and reviewed by the University Sustainability Committee. The Sustainability Committee will select nominees for recommendation to the President for final consideration and selection.
Recipients of the President's Award for Sustainability
2013: Dr. Jennifer Tougas, Director of Parking and Transportation Services
Ms. Angela Briggs, Founder of WKU-Glasgow GreenToppers, WKU-Glasgow SGA member
2012: Dr. Terry Wilson, Director of the Center for Environmental Education and Sustainability
Ms. Morgan Mickelson '12, WKU Recycling and Earth Day 2012 Student Coordinator
2011: Dr. Brian Sullivan, Associate Professor of Management, Gordon Ford College of
Mr. Nick Asher '11, Big Red Bikes Mechanic/Coordinator