- Academic Policies
- Financial Aid
- Teacher Admission Requirements
- Teacher Certification
- International Initiatives
- Student Organizations
- Annual Summer Conference
Press Enter to Search
School of Teacher Education Proficiency Evaluation Policies and Procedures for Students
To provide the School of Teacher Education Master of Arts in Education for Teacher Leaders graduate students an opportunity to demonstrate proficiency for all course objectives and/or core course assessment items in the following courses:
- TCHL 545 Classroom Instructional Strategies
- TCHL 555 School and Classroom Assessment
When proficiency is demonstrated in any of the above courses, the course may be substituted for another course on the student’s Program of Study. Because the student must complete at least 30 hours to earn a MAE degree, the student must add a course (s) to the Program of Study to meet the 30 hour MAE degree or individual program requirements. The student and the student’s advisor will determine the course(s) to be substituted on the Program of Study based upon the results of the Proficiency Evaluation, the student’s program and university requirements needed for degree completion. For additional information see Successful Completion of the Proficiency Evaluation Process in the Procedures Section, item D below.
A. Demonstrating Proficiency
- The student will demonstrate proficiency by creating a passing portfolio for the selected of the following MAE Teacher Leader courses: TCHL 545 - 3 hours and TCHL 555 – 3 hours.
- The student may apply to demonstrate proficiency in any of the courses listed above in which the student has not been previously enrolled.
- The student must complete the Proficiency Evaluation process before registering for the course in which the student is seeking to demonstrate proficiency.
- The student submits their portfolio electronically on the Electronic Portfolio System under proficiency evaluation.
- The student must create a passing portfolio to demonstrate proficiency.
- The student must score a “pass” to demonstrate proficiency on the portfolio.
- The student may attempt to take the Proficiency Evaluation only once per course.
- A demonstration of proficiency is valid for the same duration that graduate courses are accepted to fulfill program requirements. If you are pursuing a master’s or specialist degree, you must complete all requirements within six years from the starting date of the first course. If the course is over six years old, the course will not count towards the MAE degree. With extenuating circumstances, request an exception from the Dean of Graduate Studies. There is no guarantee the exception will be granted. If pursuing a non-degree program (e.g., Planned Fifth-Year or Sixth-Year, endorsement, certification-only, etc.), some courses may count that are over six years old, as long as they meet current standards. See the policy on expiration of graduate courses and programs leading to teacher certification.
- Students must be admitted to the WKU School of Teacher Education Master of Arts in Education Teacher Leaders graduate program prior to submitting an application to take a Proficiency Evaluation.
- The student will complete an online application which will be submitted to the School of Teacher Education.
C. Successful Completion of the Proficiency Evaluation Process
- Once proficiency is demonstrated by a pass on the portfolio, the School of Teacher Education will contact the student and the student’s advisor of the results.
- See Section D below for specific advisor and student procedures following the demonstration of proficiency.
A. Portfolio Submission Window
The submission window for the portfolio is the first full business week of September and February the semester prior to the Proficiency Evaluation process.
Portfolio for each course (TCHL 545/555) can be completed and submitted only once.
- The portfolio will be read by graduate faculty.
- After two readers agree on the final score, no more reading or appeal is permitted.
- The student will receive notification from the School of Teacher Education of the results.
D. Procedures for Successful Completion of the Proficiency Evaluation Process
- Once proficiency is demonstrated by a pass on portfolio, the School of Teacher Education will contact the student and the student’s advisor of the results.
- The advisor must complete and submit the Course Change Form found at: http://www.wku.edu/teacherservices/teacher_cert/forms/
- The advisor and student will decide upon the content of the Course Change Form which will include substituting and/or adding appropriate courses based upon the proficiency evaluation course results and the student’s Program of Study.
- The advisor will submit the completed Course Change Form after the student electronically signs the form. http://www.wku.edu/teacherservices/teacher_cert/forms/form_submissions.php
Files used for Proficiency Evaluations:
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,