Health Department identifies suspected case of tuberculosis in WKU student
|Author: WKU Press Release|
Date: Tuesday, September 20th, 2011
|Return to Archive|
The Barren River District Health Department has identified a suspected case of tuberculosis in a WKU student. The student is a graduate student who does not live on campus and is currently receiving medical treatment.
The Health Department has begun an investigation and is working closely with University officials to determine who may have had close contact with the student and should be tested.
“Only people with prolonged close contact with the suspected case are at risk,” said Teresa Casey, Nurse Program Manager for Barren River District Health Department. “During the investigation the Health Department will contact persons determined to be close contacts and provide recommendations for testing. If you are not contacted by the Health Department and told you need to be tested, there is no need for further concern at this time.”
WKU Health Services will provide testing at no cost to the individual for those identified by Health Department officials as close contacts who should be tested.
“We are certainly taking this seriously, but this is not an emergency situation,” Vicky Rosa, Director of WKU Health Services, said. “It is standard to proceed with testing in a suspected case of TB, and we are working to provide the testing on campus for easier access to those who may have been exposed.”
TB is a bacterial infection caused by the Mycobacterium tuberculosis. The bacterium usually affects the lungs, but TB bacteria can affect other parts of the body as well. TB is spread through the air from one person to another. A skin test is used to test for presence of TB.
Additional information about TB and TB testing may be found on the WKU Health Services website and the Centers for Disease Control website. Individuals may also call the Barren River District Health Department at (270) 781-8039, ext. 126, or WKU Health Services at (270) 745-5641, option 4.
Contact: Vicky Rosa, WKU Health Services, (270) 745-5641; Crissy Rowland at the Barren River District Health Department, (270) 202-7426; or Bob Skipper, WKU Media Relations, (270) 745-4295.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Have a Special Event This Summer? Let us know!
Finals Week is May 11 to May 15th.
The Cooperative Center for Study Abroad (CCSA) has selected Dr. Royal Berglee as the new Chair of the Board of Trustees.
The Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science in Kentucky has been named to The Washington Postís list of top-performing schools with elite students for the seventh consecutive year.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,