New Insight Into ADHD
Date: Monday, March 14th, 2011
|Return to Archive|
In 2005, a long-term, interdisciplinary research project on the clinical and biological factors associated with ADHD ("ADHD in Norway: Basic and translational studies") was launched in Bergen with funding from the Research Council's Programme for Mental Health (PSYKISK). An extensive international collaboration has been established to follow up the research results in the coming years.
A research biobank containing clinical informational and biological samples from Norwegian ADHD patients and their families, as well as from control subjects, was established as well. Using this data as a basis, the researchers have sought to map the connection between ADHD symptoms and other mental disorders.
"One of our findings is that there is some overlap between AHDH and bipolar disorders with regard to rapid mood swings. It is now being discussed whether mood swings should be included in the official diagnosis criteria for ADHD," explains Jan Haavik, project manager and professor at Haukeland University Hospital and the University of Bergen.
The researchers have also shown that the Norwegian population has many genetic variants that regulate the synthesis of the pheromones dopamine and serotonin. Some of these genetic variants are associated with ADHD symptoms.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
May 27th - May 31st
Parking and Transit Service May 13 to May 31
Map and Tentative Schedule
The World Council for Gifted and Talented Children will host its 20th Biennial World Conference, "Celebrating Giftedness and Creativity," August 10-14, 2013, at the Galt House Hotel and Conference Center in Louisville, KY.