Regents OK funds to continue science campus project
|Date: Monday, July 28th, 2014||Return|
WKU’s Board of Regents today (July 25) approved the use of up to $2.4 million in reserve funds to move forward with the Ogden Science Campus renovation project.
The funds, which will be replaced by the state once General Fund bonds are issued, will be used to raze Thompson Complex North Wing and start design of a renovation of the Thompson Complex Center Wing and a new science building. Demolition of the North Wing could take place over Christmas break, after hazards such as asbestos have been removed. Construction would begin after the start of the new fiscal year in July 2015.
Due to critical need for space on the science campus, WKU President Gary Ransdell said the University wants to be ready to begin construction as soon as state funds are available.
The Board also appointed Dr. Beverly Siegrist as a University Distinguished Professor. Dr. Siegrist, who has been at WKU for more than 25 years, is the Graduate Program Coordinator in Nursing and the first UPD from the College of Health and Human Services.
Dr. Siegrist played a lead role in the development and implementation of WKU’s Doctor of Nursing Practice program and has advised numerous students in the Educational Leadership doctoral program. During her tenure, the number of graduate nursing students has grown from 36 to more than 200.
“I congratulate Dr. Siegrist on this richly-deserved honor,” Provost Gordon Emslie said. “Her contributions to the University and our nursing program in particular have been truly outstanding.”
The Board approved the following academic programs: a master of science in environmental and occupational health science; a bachelor of arts in paralegal studies; graduate certificates in global pathways to sustainability, business sustainability and communicating in healthcare; and undergraduate certificates in food science, advanced professionalism and interactive training design.
The Board also approved four programs designed to meet the needs of manufacturing industries in the region outlined in “An Urgent Call to Action” report received by the Bowling Green Area Chamber of Commerce. Those undergraduate certificates are automation, manufacturing and logistics, manufacturing processing and technology and Six Sigma and quality.
In other business, the Board:
- Approved an undergraduate minor in citizenship and social justice.
- Renamed the Kinesiology, Recreation & Sport Department to the School of Kinesiology, Recreation & Sport.
- Appointed Dr. C. Wayne Higgins as Professor of Public Health, Emeritus.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Wednesday, December 17th to Sunday, January 20th
Reduced services will be in effect during the Winter Break.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,