$249,978 NSF grant aids chemistry research at WKU, South Korea
|Date: Wednesday, June 18th, 2014||Return|
Dr. Moon-Soo Kim, assistant professor of chemistry at WKU, has received a $249,978 National Science Foundation grant for students to work with WKU and South Korean collaborators to develop a point-of-care diagnostic for pathogen detection.
WKU students will work on projects in biochemistry and analytical chemistry with WKU faculty and respective South Korean collaborators.
Dr. Kim and Professor Haesik Yang of Pusan National University will collaborate on the use of sequence-specific Zinc Finger Proteins (ZFPs) and Transcriptional Activator-Like Effectors (TALEs) for the detection of pathogens. They seek improvements in detection sensitivity for this technique by using electrochemical detection with redox cycling. The project is expected to develop a point-of-care diagnostic for pathogen detection.
WKU chemistry professor Eric Conte and Professor Yong-Ill Lee of Changwon National University will collaborate on the use of Magnetic Zirconia particles for the separation of chiral racemic drug mixtures. The separation of chiral racemic mixtures is a challenge in biomedicine where typically only one enantiomer will have biological activity.
Magnetic Zirconia particles show promise for separating a number of important racemic mixtures and subsequent isolation of the biologically important chiral molecule. Separating and isolating the pharmaceutically active chiral substance is important for studying a drug’s metabolic route.
A strengthened joint collaboration, involving WKU undergraduate students, will result between the WKU investigators from a predominately undergraduate institution and Korean collaborators at two internationally recognized Ph.D. granting institutions (Pusan and Changwon National Universities).
In addition, this experience is designed to expose students to education within a different culture. They will gain an appreciation for higher education in a country other than their own and gain research experience in an international environment.
The NSF grant award was effective June 15.
Contact: Nancy Mager, (270) 745-6257.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- March 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- April 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- JUNE 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- December 2015 ICYMI
- January 2016 ICYMI
- MAY 2016 ICYMI
- February 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS July 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
The Family and Consumer Sciences department at WKU is pleased to announce that it has received notice that the Interior Design Bachelor of Science degree has been granted accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
Dr. Scott Lyons, Director of the School of Kinesiology, Recreation & Sport (KRS) at Western Kentucky University, was recently recognized by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) as a new Fellow of the College.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,