WKU GIS student awarded KAMP scholarship
|Date: Thursday, June 12th, 2014||Return to Archive|
WKU student Taylor Berzins of Antioch, Tenn., has been awarded a tuition scholarship of $1,000 for Fall 2014 by the Kentucky Association of Mapping Professionals (KAMP).
Berzins will be honored as the KAMP scholarship winner at this year’s Kentucky Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Conference, to be held at the Galt House in Louisville during the third week of September. As the honoree, his conference registration fees will be waived and his accommodations are provided for him at the conference hotel. During the conference luncheon, he will be recognized as the winner of the KAMP scholarship in front of Kentucky’s GIS professionals.
Berzins is a senior majoring in Geographic Information Science (GIScience), is a GIS Intern with the Warren County Stormwater Management team and is president of the first-ever student GIScience club at WKU. He co-founded The Hilltopper GIScience Club last year and the club has received an overwhelming level of support from the GIS community in the region, including Tennessee. Earlier this year, the club’s board members made it possible to connect via Facebook.
Last year was the first year that KAMP began offering a GIS scholarship as a way for GIS professionals in the Commonwealth to give back to a deserving student studying GIS at a higher education institution in Kentucky while majoring in the geosciences. The first scholarship recipient was WKU’s J. Austin Boys, who received a $500 scholarship. This year, KAMP decided to increase the scholarship to $1,000.
“This is the second year in a row that a WKU student has been awarded a KAMP scholarship,” Geography and Geology’s GIS Center Director Kevin Cary said. “We do our best in the department to keep our GIS program competitive region-wide, and Taylor’s KAMP scholarship award validates the importance of WKU’s GIS program both in the Commonwealth and around the region.”
For information about applying for next year’s KAMP’s scholarship, or about GIS, WKU’s GIS programs, and GIS applications in business and industry, contact Kevin Cary in WKU’s Center for GIS at (270) 745-2981 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information also available at http://www.wku.edu/gis/
Contact: Kevin Cary, (270) 745-2981.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Wednesday, December 17th to Sunday, January 20th
Reduced services will be in effect during the Winter Break.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,