- Current Headlines
- WKU In the News
- University Photography
- Emergency Communications
- Broadcast Services
- View From the Hill
- How To Get the Word Out
- Placing Your Event on the WKU Events Calendar
- WKU News on Facebook
- WKU News on Twitter
- iWKU Mobile App
- At-WKU Newsletter
- Media Resources
- Back to Public Affairs
REACH Week highlights student research, scholarly activities
|Date: Thursday, March 13th, 2014||Return to Archive|
REACH (Research Experiences and Creative Heights) Week is dedicated to students who have engaged in research, creative endeavors, and other scholarly activities at WKU. The March 17-22 event includes a keynote speaker, showcases of scholarly activity by colleges and other campus programs and a student conference.
The 44th Annual Student Research Conference on March 22 is the highlight of REACH Week. More than 380 abstracts were submitted for the conference that will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Gary Ransdell Hall. An awards ceremony featuring remarks from Sigma Xi speaker John Shea and WKU Provost Gordon Emslie will begin at 5 p.m.
WKU’s Student Research Council (SRC) hosts REACH Week to encourage student involvement in scholarly activities and professional development of graduate, undergraduate and Gatton Academy students in all disciplines.
REACH Week activities begin March 17 with a keynote presentation by Dr. Michio Kaku, a theoretical physicist and best-selling author. The lecture — part of the 2013-14 Cultural Enhancement Series and co-sponsored by the Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science in Kentucky – begins at 7:30 p.m. at Van Meter Hall.
On March 18, WKU will host the inaugural meeting of the Public Scholar Network from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Faculty House. The meeting is open to all faculty, staff and students who are engaged in public scholarship at WKU. The goals of the PSN are to promote networking and collaboration of public scholars across academic departments and to provide a forum for an open exchange of ideas and expertise in the areas of community-based research, service-learning, community development and other related forms of public scholarship.
On March 19, Ogden College of Science and Engineering will host a Sinkhole Symposium featuring presentations from WKU faculty and students about the origin and aftermath of the National Corvette Museum sinkhole that occurred on Feb. 12. The Sinkhole Symposium will be held from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Snell Hall, room 2113.
On March 21, the WKU ALIVE Center for Community Partnerships will host a panel discussion on Taking It To The Streets: The WKU Hill House Graduate Assistantship Program. Four graduate students will discuss their experiences from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. at Hill House, located on the corner of East 11th Street and High Street in Bowling Green.
WKU’s academic colleges and other programs will host the following events during REACH Week – College of Education and Behavioral Sciences showcase at 4 p.m. March 18 at Gary Ransdell Hall, room 1074; Gordon Ford College of Business showcase at 11:15 a.m. March 19 at Grise Hall, second and fourth floors; College of Health and Human Services showcase at 3 p.m. March 19 at Academic Complex, second floor; Gatton Academy showcase at 6 p.m. March 20 at Florence Schneider Hall, fourth floor; Office of Research/Honors College reception at 4 p.m. March 21 at Florence Schneider Hall, fourth floor; informal roundtable discussion with Dr. John Shea, Sigma Xi speaker, at 6 p.m. March 21 at Music Hall’s Choral Room.
The 2014 REACH Week schedule is available at http://www.wku.edu/studentresearch/reach_week_schedule.php
Contact: Gordon Baylis, (270) 745-6733.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Friday, March 27th
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,