Spring 2014 Study Abroad Fair Attracts Genuine Interest and Encouraging Turnout
|Author: WKU Study Abroad and Global Learning|
Date: Monday, March 3rd, 2014
|Return to Archive|
The Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning (SAGL) kicked off spring semester recruiting on Wednesday, February, 12th with the spring Study Abroad Fair. With around 300 prospective study abroad students in attendance, Mass Media and Technology Hall Lobby was buzzing with activity and conversation.
WKU students had the opportunity to informally meet with WKU faculty program leaders from over fifteen WKU faculty-led programs and representatives from twelve study abroad partner organizations, including KIIS, Semester at Sea, Harlaxton, and a number of other affiliate providers. Program representatives were impressed with the high level of interest of students in attendance and reported being able to spend quality time discussing program options with students.
“The study abroad fair was a great opportunity to learn even more about study abroad, and I even got a chance to meet and talk with Dr. Kirk from the Harlaxton program,” commented Brittany Allen, a freshman Education Major. Ms. Allen was selected as one of the study abroad fair scholarships drawing winners and has decided to apply the $500 scholarship toward Harlaxton College fall 2014 semester.
The Study Abroad and Global Learning Office draws two scholarship winners at each spring and fall fair. These students are awarded $250 toward a short-term program or $500 toward a semester-long program. Wheeler Painter, a senior double major in International Business and Marketing, was the second scholarship drawing winner for this spring fair and plans to do an internship in Chile this summer through Globalinks.
Not only was the feedback from students upbeat, but program representatives only had positive things to say about the spring Study Abroad Fair. CISabroad representative Joshua Hudson said, “The fair was extremely well organized, the staff and faculty were helpful, and the students were well engaged and interested in opportunities abroad. I can't wait to attend WKU’s fall study abroad fair.”
With excellent feedback and an encouraging turnout at this and the previous fall Study Abroad Fair, which attracted over 900 visitors in September 2013, the SAGL team hopes to stay busy this semester, advising and preparing students for upcoming programs. Students who are participating in summer and fall programs are encouraged to apply for funding through SAGL by the approaching March deadlines. SAGL scholarships include the World Topper Scholarship and the Diversity Abroad Grant, a new award intended to assist students with high financial need from certain groups which have been traditionally underrepresented in study abroad.
For more information about the fair or SAGL scholarships, contact Katherine Hale, email@example.com, 270-745-5334.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Continue using your current permit until 8/15/14.
July 29th - Aug 4th