- Current Headlines
- WKU In the News
- University Photography
- Emergency Communications
- Broadcast Services
- View From the Hill
- How To Get the Word Out
- Placing Your Event on the WKU Events Calendar
- WKU News on Facebook
- WKU News on Twitter
- iWKU Mobile App
- At-WKU Newsletter
- Media Resources
- Back to Public Affairs
Teams from 6 area high schools to compete in 2014 Physics Olympics
|Date: Thursday, February 20th, 2014||Return|
Seventeen teams from six area high schools will compete in the 2014 Western Kentucky Physics Olympics on Saturday (Feb. 22).
Teams from Allen County-Scottsville, Bowling Green, Franklin-Simpson, Greenwood, South Warren and Warren Central high schools will compete in the event sponsored by the Department of Physics & Astronomy. The competition consists of a pentathlon of challenging problem-solving activities that reward teamwork, creativity and communication.
This year’s event will be held from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at WKU’s Snell Hall, rooms 2113 and 3110.
Each member of the overall top scoring team will receive a $600 scholarship to attend WKU, while members of the overall second-place team will receive a $200 scholarship. Medals for the team members and a plaque for the school will be awarded to the top three teams in the overall competition. Certificates will be awarded to the top three teams in each event.
The 2014 Physics Olympics will begin with two activities that involve competitors arriving at the event ready to compete with devices they have designed, constructed and tested. The Roto Drop event requires each team to design and construct a helicopter type device to safely lower an egg when dropped from a fixed height. For Balloon Rockets each team constructs air-powered racing craft to self-propel along the track for the greatest distance. This year’s “Calculation/ Communication Challenge” is titled Instrumental Navigation and will require each team to divide into pairs and cooperatively direct a flight to its desired destination. The “On-the-Spot Activity” and “Order-of-Magnitude Quiz” will remain a secret until the day of the event.
Contact: Richard Gelderman, (270) 745-6203.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Order by July 15th to be eligible for a prize giveaway!
Sr. Vir Patel earned the Secondary Student Technology Award, alumnus William Roach-Barrette earned the Post-Secondary Student Technology Award, and The Gatton Academy earned the Secondary Educational Institution Technology Award along with the LaRue Co.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,