Nursing Students Participate in Hispanic Community Health Fair
|Date: Friday, June 7th, 2013||Return|
Hannah B. Johnson, BSN Prelicensure Nursing Student
On April 6, 2013, a health fair was held at St. Joseph's Catholic Church for the Hispanic Community of Bowling Green. In partnership with the Institute for Rural Health, WKU School of Nursing, WKU Dietetics Students, the Barren River District Health Department, South Central Kentucky Area Health Education Center (AHEC), WKU Public Health Association, and many community members, students collaborated with faculty to create an event that addressed the main health and safety concerns of the Hispanic community. The event provided various educational materials as well as screening services; including blood pressure screening, lipid panel screening, consults with local physicians, dental screenings, teeth cleaning, hearing testing and HIV oral testing.
The event was a marked success. There were at least 40 participants who received lipid screening and over 20 children who received teeth cleaning (many other adults and children receiving free screening). After receiving screening services, participants visited various health promotion booths and community tables. They also received a free healthy lunch (homemade chips and salsa, vegetable and fruit trays, chicken soup and more) prepared by WKU dietetics students.
This busy day was well received by the community. Participants completed evaluations with suggestions for future fairs. Without the assistance of the many departments, schools and organizations within the College of Health and Human Services, the fair would not have been as effective and the Hispanic participants would not have received the many health promotion and screening services that day. Much gratitude is extended to the CHHS!
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Make this year's spring break memorable by having fun and staying safe. Below is a guide to help you make safe choices during spring break.
Banishing belly fat and taking back your health, while eating the foods you love. 5 calorie-saving tips.
Around 300 students visited the spring 2014 Study Abroad Fair in MMTH to learn how they could earn credit on education abroad programs offered through WKU.