WKU to participate in Campus Conservation Nationals
|Date: Tuesday, January 29th, 2013||Return to Archive|
WKU will participate in Campus Conservation Nationals (CCN) 2013, a nationwide electricity and water use reduction competition among colleges and universities created by The Center for Green Schools at the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) through its Students Program, and in partnership with Lucid, Alliance to Save Energy and the National Wildlife Federation.
During the months of February, March and April, students at WKU and across the country will compete to achieve the greatest reductions in their residence halls over a three-week period determined by each campus. WKU will participate during the period of March 23 through April 12 and will utilize WKU’s web-based real-time energy feedback kiosk to track energy conservation progress during the competition.
WKU joins more than 200 universities and colleges nationwide that are registered for this program. In this competition, participating schools can choose to compete between buildings on their own campus and against a select group of peer institutions, with savings from all participants accumulating to reach a national challenge goal. Using Lucid’s Building Dashboard®, competitors will be able to instantly compare performance, share winning strategies and track standings among the leading schools and buildings. With generous support from United Technologies Corp., founding sponsor of the Center for Green Schools at USGBC, CCN is an opportunity for students and staff to make immediate and lasting impacts on a school’s carbon emissions and campus culture.
“WKU students are pretty good at energy and water conservation,” said WKU Sustainability Coordinator Christian Ryan-Downing. “For the past five years, WKU residence halls have competed in an annual ‘Reduce Your Use’ competition to see which hall can conserve the most energy during a monthlong period. We are ready to take our competition to the next level, and have challenged University of Louisville, University of Kentucky and Berea College to a regional ‘Bluegrass Unplugged’ competition across the Commonwealth. They are all in.”
The WKU PowerSave interns — Ashley McCloughan of Bowling Green; Sophia Sterlin of Port-au-Prince, Haiti; Mary Boothe of Georgetown; and Mary Newton of Owensboro — are teaming up with Housing and Residence Life to plan awareness activities and events around the Campus Conservation Nationals. PowerSave Campus, a program sponsored by the Alliance to Save Energy and TVA, is a student-driven energy efficiency education program that promotes careers in the field, generates actual energy savings, increases awareness of the importance of energy efficiency, and encourages academic infusion of sustainability concepts.
“Our team is very excited to be leading this campaign at WKU and we hope to engage students and faculty/staff alike in the competition,” said McCloughan, team manager of WKU PowerSave Campus. “And as for ‘Bluegrass Unplugged,’ this is our time to prove that WKU is a leading university in energy and water conservation and sustainability as a whole. Go TOPS!”
WKU Campus Conservation Nationals events
- The competition will kick off with an acoustic concert at 7 p.m. Feb. 7 at the Kentucky Museum, featuring local and student musicians unplugged.
- At 7 p.m. Feb. 19, the interns are hosting an open mic, with an energy and water conservation theme, in Downing University Center Auditorium.
- A mini-film series is planned for late February and early March with three film screenings to be announced.
- March 23 is the date for the global observance of Earth Hour, during which communities and individuals are encouraged to switch off their lights to raise awareness about climate change and energy conservation. The PowerSave interns have planned a green campus scavenger hunt for student residents to participate in during Earth Hour, with great prizes for winning teams.
For information on any of these events, contact the WKU PowerSave Interns at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Christian Ryan-Downing, (270) 745-2508.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
SJ&B Joins Student Publications for 65th Annual Student Publications Homecoming Breakfast
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,