Stone named director of Veterans Upward Bound program
|Date: Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013||Return|
Davy Stone of Bowling Green has been appointed as the new director for the Veterans Upward Bound program at WKU.
Prior to becoming director, Stone worked as a VUB instructor for 18 years. In his new position, Stone will oversee an annual operating budget of $280,000 and supervise four full-time staff members. He is the fourth person to serve as VUB’s director since the program came to WKU 21 years ago.
“Since he has already worked for VUB for almost 20 years, Davy is very well qualified for the job,” said VUB Coordinator/Counselor Rick Wright. “Davy is very knowledgeable about all aspects of VUB’s operations and his long-term experience will serve him well in this position.”
In December 2012, Veterans Upward Bound celebrated 20 years of providing free educational services to veterans in southcentral Kentucky. Since 1992, WKU’s Veterans Upward Bound program has served more than 2,400 student veterans. The program helped 139 veterans during the 2011-12 project year.
While some states have several VUB programs, including Arkansas, Louisiana and Tennessee with three each, WKU hosts the only Veterans Upward Bound program in Kentucky. In September 2012, WKU’s Veterans Upward Bound was approved for five more years of funding by the U.S. Department of Education.
VUB’s primary mission is to help veterans get admitted to college so they can get the education they need to have a good quality of life. Each student receives a full array of support services that include career counseling, academic advising, financial aid assistance, stipends and scholarships.
The program serves veterans who are low-income or first-generation college students and provides college prep classes in subjects like English, math and computer literacy.
Veterans Upward Bound alumni are enrolled at WKU, Bowling Green Technical College, Daymar College, University of Phoenix, Volunteer State Community College in Gallatin, Tenn., Ashford University in Clinton, Iowa, and many other schools.
Contact: Rick Wright, (270) 745-5008.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter