WKU offering Bonner scholarships
|Date: Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013||Return to Archive|
“I really look forward to working at HOTEL INC each day. They have so many interesting projects ahead of them and I stay excited about the opportunity to be involved with them,” said Joanna Williams, a Bonner Leadership Scholar and WKU junior from Clarksville, Tenn.
Bonner Leadership Scholars complete 10 hours of community service, professional development and personal enrichment activities each week in exchange for their tuition scholarship.
Being able to offer a Bonner scholarship for service work is something new for WKU, but it is common to many campuses. The Bonner Program began in 1990 at Berea College to help people in financial need. Bertram and Corella Bonner believed in the importance of education and sought to find a way to connect a college or university to the surrounding community. More than 80 colleges and university manage Bonner programs now.
“We are very excited to participate in the Bonner Leadership Scholar program and support our students’ leadership development through scholarship support. We are confident that over time such partnerships with the national Bonner Foundation will continue to grow, allowing WKU students across the Commonwealth the opportunity to access higher education while experiencing meaningful service learning,” said Dr. Brian Meredith, Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management at WKU.
This first class is comprised of four students. In addition to Williams, other students are Jillian Weston of Indianapolis, LeLand Cantrell of Bowling Green and Mernisa Hrustanovic of Bowling Green. Applications are being accepted for the 2013-2014 academic year. Any high school student with an interest in service and planning to attend WKU should apply by April 1. The application is available online at www.wku.edu/alive.
For information, contact Lee Calvert at the ALIVE Center at (270) 782-0082.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Details regarding upcoming auditions for the WKU Theatre & Dance production of Lily Plants a Garden.
Details regarding auditions for The Enchanted Attic at WKU
Details regarding auditions for The Dance Project at WKU.
Announcement regarding last minute addition to class schedule: Musical Theatre Ensemble.
Announcement about Theatre & Dance Convocation for Fall 2014 semester.
Detailed information about an upcoming audition for Six Characters in Search of an Author