Fashion Merchandising Students Travel to Las Vegas for MAGIC Tradeshow
|Date: Tuesday, January 1st, 2013||Return|
From August 20-24, 2012, Dr. Devona L. Dixon traveled with seven Interior Design and Fashion Merchandising (IDFM) students to Las Vegas to experience MAGIC, which is the fashion industry’s premier tradeshow. The students were enrolled in DMT 426 Market Trends, a hybrid online course and study tour coordinated by WKU Study Away office.
The course experience and study tour proved to be a great learning and networking opportunity. Students studied and were exposed to current market trends in apparel, buying, and global sourcing. Each assignment completed prior to attending the event prepared them for the three day “buying experience”. They assumed the role of apparel buyer while attending MAGIC tradeshow and prepared for the event by creating a schedule, identifying vendors to visits, familiarizing themselves with current trade, manufacturing and sourcing issues related to retailing and apparel.
Once there, the group visited vendors representing brands including Jessica Simpson, Steve Madden, Betsy Johnson, Vera Wang, Michael Kors, and lesser known designer Lanvand. Representatives from True Religion and Fergie Shoes educated the group on their brands and company through informal personal group sessions. The groups’ schedule also included seminars on topics including using social media to reach male consumers, the future of retailing global and domestic, starting your own business, and spring and fall 2013 trends. All seminars were presented by professionals in the industry. The group also attended the WWD fashion show and observed several fashion photo shoots.
One student had this to say about the study tour. “I would recommend this class to anyone. It was an awesome experience that most people would never get. It was not only a great way to experience the industry, but it also allows you to make connections and get your name out there a little bit. Overall, this trip was a great time. I want to thank you, Ms. Dixon.”
MAGIC is the largest men’s, women’s, and children’s apparel and accessory tradeshow in the United States. The show brings together buyers, over 3,500 vendors, and numerous global sourcing agents from around the world. The event takes place in February and August each year.
Johanna Studzinski, Kristyn Bastin, Ashton Neibel, Kaitlyn O’Reilly, Mallory Trinh, Dr. Devona Dixon and Tara Hackett pose outside of PROJECT for menswear at the Mandalay Convention Center.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Reduce seasonal allergy symptoms in your home by following several tips.
Do you need to walk 10,000 steps a day to be healthy? The health benefits of using a pedometer.
March 12 - March 16