6 chemistry students return from 10-week research experience in Taiwan
|Date: Friday, August 31st, 2012||Return to Archive|
Six WKU students have returned from a 10-week summer research experience at the National Chung Hsing University (NCHU) in Taichung, Taiwan.
The students — Linda Cruz, a Gatton Academy student from Carrollton; John Biechele Speziale, a Gatton Academy student from Grayson; Amy Ni, a junior from Bowling Green; Hillary Asberry, a junior from Lancaster; Elijah Ernst, a senior from Hodgenville; and Justin Wellum, a junior from Louisville — worked on chemistry and chemical engineering research projects that included using bamboo particles to remove toxic metal ions, electrochemical capacitors and switchable surfaces.
The WKU group worked closely with faculty mentors and students at the Chemical Engineering Department at NCHU. They gave oral presentations twice at NCHU during their stay. They also visited many historic and cultural areas of Taiwan, including Taipei, Kenting National Park and Sun Moon Lake.
The project is funded through a three-year grant from the National Science Foundation’s Office of International Science and Engineering. Students are provided a stipend and airfare through this grant. Because WKU is a sister university with NCHU, NCHU provides WKU students free housing.
Dr. Eric Conte, WKU chemistry professor and the principal investigator, who joined the students for part of their stay, has been collaborating with faculty at the NCHU for the past seven years through these grants. The students will present their results at regional and national meetings in the United States.
Contact: Eric Conte, (270) 745-6019.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
May 27th - May 31st
Parking and Transit Service May 13 to May 31
Map and Tentative Schedule
The World Council for Gifted and Talented Children will host its 20th Biennial World Conference, "Celebrating Giftedness and Creativity," August 10-14, 2013, at the Galt House Hotel and Conference Center in Louisville, KY.