Job Opening: Triage Nurse
|Author: Terri F.|
Date: Wednesday, August 1st, 2012
|Return to Archive|
WKU Health Services
The Triage Nurse is a nine to ten month position. The Triage Nurse will handle phone calls from and on-site visits for patients seeking medical information and/or medical attention. They will schedule appointments as the patient’s condition requires, answer questions, provide health education, and deliver sound medical judgment within their scope of practice. This position will assist in monitoring and managing patient flow, while in coordination with the Clinical Nurse Manager and Assistant Director of Business Operations. Triage Nurse must have knowledge and skills to perform triage and other rapid assessments while making decisions on priority of care based on this assessment. The Triage Nurse is required to maintain skills as verified through Competency testing. This person must be familiar with WKU Health Services standards and policies and adhere to established policies and protocols. This position requires working knowledge of the front scheduling procedures and works collaboratively to enhance and maintain a smooth patient schedule. This position will assist in other clinical tasks as patient flow allows such as returning phone/portal messages, refill line messages, taking vital signs, and screening patients for Provider exam. This position will rotate with other positions as needed based on staffing needs. This may include Provider Nurse, Shot Room Nurse, etc. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Business Operations. The Triage Nurse performs duties under the direction of the Assistant Director of Business Operations, Clinical Nurse Manager, and Medical Director.
- Successful completion of an Accredited Registered Nurse program
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN)
- Active (Unrestricted) Kentucky RN License
- Current CPR/BLS Certification
- At least one year of experience in an outpatient Primary Care office, Hospital Emergency Department, Urgent Care setting, or equivalent experience
- At least one year of experience in performing assessments and making Triage decisions based on patient assessment
- Experience administering medications - allergy injections, vaccines, TB skin tests, and other injectable medications.
- Proficient IV skills
- Outstanding customer service and communication skills
- Positive attitude
- Receptive and able to adapt to changes in practice processes
- Ability to Multitask – performing several activities simultaneously
Physical and Mental Abilities Required:
This position may require periods of sitting, standing, computer use. Continuous follow up, communication, and attention to detail are required to ensure safety and completeness of care. This person must be self- directed and motivated. The ability to multitask and stay focused is essential. The successful candidate must have mental and physical stamina and flexibility to meet the demands of a busy group practice and contribute equitably to the overall workload. Patients will be greeted in a manner that is pleasant (smiling), attentive, and focused on the patient. Physical mobility required to reach, bend, stoop, and the ability to lift supplies weighing approximately 10 - 25 lbs. Physically able to support or assist in moving a patient weighing 150 – 250 lbs or more. Visual acuity needed to read computer screens, medication containers, syringe markings, and other small print clearly and accurately. Manual dexterity required to perform patient care and utilize EMR. Maturity and the ability to keep emotions in check and to portray a professional image in both dress and demeanor are essential.Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify The Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services at (270) 745- 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.
Salary Grade: 108 Salary Range: $32,712 - $43,824
Applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. Interested candidates must submit a letter of application, current resume, and names, addresses and daytime phone numbers of three professional references using the online application process. Please refer to the following website to apply: http://asaweb.wku.edu/wkujobs. For further assistance call (270) 745-5934. Please reference requisition number S3366. For full consideration, submit application materials by August 14, 2012. Position will remain open until filled.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Reduce seasonal allergy symptoms in your home by following several tips.
Do you need to walk 10,000 steps a day to be healthy? The health benefits of using a pedometer.
March 12 - March 16