NSF grant supports workshop on Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
|Date: Monday, June 25th, 2012||Return to Archive|
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) is one of the most powerful technologies that provide useful structural information about chemical compounds. To foster knowledge of and facilitate access to this technology, WKU’s Department of Chemistry hosted a thematic NMR workshop on June 18-21.
The workshop was supported by a National Science Foundation grant from the Course, Curriculum, and Laboratory Improvement (CCLI) program, whose primary goal is to establish an equal and sustainable partnership between WKU and Elizabethtown Community and Technical College (ECTC) by integrating two Anasazi Fourier Transform NMR spectrometers simultaneously across the chemistry curriculum at both institutions. This collaborative project is led by Dr. Rui Zhang, Dr. Darwin Dahl, Dr. Lester Pesterfield and Dr. Cathleen Webb in the WKU’s Chemistry Department and Dr. Shawn Kellie and Professor Sue Ballard, who are chemistry faculty members at ECTC.
The four one-day workshops brought together a broad community of participants including teachers and students from local high schools, students from another WKU NSF program (Research Experiences for Undergraduates Land Use/Land Cover in the Upper Green River Watershed led by Dr. Cathleen Webb and Dr. Rezaul Mahmood), faculty and students from the partner institution (ECTC), and WKU research and graduate students.
The workshop was conducted on a lecture-experiment format to encourage active participation by all registrants. Aspects of the chemistry and organic synthesis of the wonder drug, Aspirin, and its analysis and structural elucidation by NMR analysis were covered in a one-day program. The workshop provided a working knowledge as well as hands-on experience with NMR and chemical synthesis and imparted an understanding of the capabilities and usefulness of modern instrumental analysis in selected chemical applications.
The participating faculty members from WKU and ECTC also shared insights and experiences related to NMR training procedure, teaching pedagogy, laboratory exercise, and plans for the possible Phase II funding.
Contact: Dr. Rui Zhang, (270) 745-3786.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Check NEXTbus for updates.
Plan extra time to reach your destination
Spring Break is Monday, March 9th - Friday, March 13th
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,