WKU offers stateís first elementary mathematics specialist endorsement
|Date: Friday, May 18th, 2012||Return to Archive|
WKU now offers an elementary mathematics specialist endorsement, the first program of its kind in the state. Through a partnership between WKU School of Teacher Education and WKU Online Learning, the Elementary Math Specialist (EMS) Endorsement provides teachers, teacher leaders and math coaches with instruction in math pedagogy, problem solving and assessment with a concentration in technology and diverse learners.
The EMS Endorsement is designed to give professionals both a deep and practical knowledge of the content and pedagogy of elementary mathematics and skills for working with other professionals to develop their mathematical knowledge for teaching in P-5 settings. The program is ideal for math professionals responsible for supporting effective math instruction and student learning at the classroom, school, district or state levels.
According to Cindy Troutman, assistant director of distance learning, the program is 100 percent online, giving math educators flexibility to fit the program into their busy schedules. “Online courses are extremely flexible and convenient,” Troutman said, “so this program is perfect for those who teach full time.”
This 15 credit-hour program may be earned as a stand-alone endorsement, or incorporated into the MAE in Elementary Education, the Planned 5th year program in Elementary Education, the Planned 6th year/Rank I or the EdS in Elementary Education. Students wishing to pursue the endorsement as part of a master’s program must meet the admission criteria for that program.
Applicants must be certified in Elementary Education to qualify and have or be eligible for a teaching certificate for Elementary Education, Grades P-5. The GRE is not required for this program.
Students can begin coursework this summer, but courses are available throughout the year. For information, visit www.wku/edu/online/ems.
Contact: Cindy Troutman, (270) 745-4087 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
May 20th - May 26th
Parking and Transit Service May 13 to May 31
Map and Tentative Schedule
The World Council for Gifted and Talented Children will host its 20th Biennial World Conference, "Celebrating Giftedness and Creativity," August 10-14, 2013, at the Galt House Hotel and Conference Center in Louisville, KY.