Deansí gift to WKU graduates: first-year dues for Alumni Association
|Date: Thursday, May 10th, 2012||Return to Archive|
WKU students graduating this weekend will be getting an unexpected present, courtesy of their academic dean: first year membership in the WKU Alumni Association.
Each of the university’s academic deans has agreed to pay the first-year dues, a $35 value, for all graduates for the next three years, according to Donald Smith, executive director of the WKU Alumni Association.
“The deans felt it was the least they could do after all the hard work the students put in to completing their degrees,” Smith said.
The idea originated with Dean Jeff Katz of the Gordon Ford College of Business and Dean John Bonaguro of the College of Health and Human Services. They approached Smith and then pitched the idea to WKU’s Council of Academic Deans. It proved to be an easy sell, Dr. Katz said.
“In my opinion, the action of the deans reflects a huge commitment for the future of our university through ongoing alumni connection and participation,” he said.
Dr. Bonaguro said the idea originated from a conversation they had about keeping graduates connected to the university.
“This is really valuable for us,” he said. “This means we can stay in touch with our alumni, keep them involved in the Alumni Association, keep them involved with the college and departments and keep them connected to WKU. We hope that once they have one membership, they will renew that membership year after year.”
Smith said word is just getting out to the students, and the response has been positive.
“They are excited to know that their relationship with WKU is not going to end when they walk across the stage at Commencement,” he said.
Smith said the proposal came at an exciting time in the history of the Alumni Association. The 30,000-square-foot Augenstein Alumni Center, under construction on the north end of campus, is on target to open just in time for the association’s centennial in 2013.
“It’s pretty special to have all three come together like this,” he said.
The program will mean the addition of about 3,600 new members to the alumni association this year. Funds raised through the dues go back into alumni programming such as Spirit Magazine and the reunion program.
“Our job is to keep those graduates involved,” Smith said.
Contact: Donald Smith, (270) 745-4395.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Advertising Program Also Includes Four IXD Classes Effective Fall Semester 2015
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,