Health Services expands patient numbers, services
|Author: Terri F.|
Date: Tuesday, February 7th, 2012
|Return to Archive|
Whether it be for a flu shot, a checkup or a sprained ankle, WKU’s Health Services Center is looking to become the first choice in non-emergency medical care for both WKU faculty and students.
Since Health Services moved into its new facility in 2008, the center has served almost double the number of patients — growing from 11,647 patients served in 2007 to nearly 21,000 in 2011—according to a report given at January’s Board of Regents meeting.
Health Services administered more than 1,500 flu shots last year. From the end of December 2009 to the end of summer 2010 more than 1,700 H1N1 vaccines were given to patients.
President Gary Ransdell said the program has come a long way and will continue to grow.
“I’ve watched our Health Services program go from only serving a few students and not having a business model at all to now serving thousands of students and faculty and staff and having a strong business model,” Ransdell said.
The revenue streams collected from insurance and money made from use of the facility will allow it continue to grow and expand, he said.
Ann Mead, vice president for Finance and Administration, said the growth of Health Services gives it room to offer more services in the future.
“You don’t just have to provide basic primary care, there is the ability to provide additional services,” Mead said. “They try to be able to see what else does the campus need, and they try to accommodate.”
Ransdell said he believes that Health Services caters an essential need at WKU — a healthy campus.
“I’m looking for them to lead the way in creating a healthy campus environment,” he said.
A healthy faculty and staff in turn lowers insurance premiums for employees, he said.
“It operates like a true health center,” Ransdell said. “I would like for it to be the first destination of choice for faculty and staff for day-to-day routine health care needs.”
Reporter: Cameron Koch / WKU Herald
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- March 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- April 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- JUNE 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- December 2015 ICYMI
- January 2016 ICYMI
- MAY 2016 ICYMI
- February 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS July 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2017 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Film nominated in IndieWire’s Project of the Year Contest
7:45AM - 9:30AM
Lady Toppers play 2/23 and 2/25
Construction webcams are now in place so you can watch the progress of Hilltopper Hall and the Southwest and Northeast Hall connectors online: wku.edu/webcams - images are uploaded from 5 am-5 pm.
Early construction on a new residence hall at Western Kentucky University has begun, with the goal of offering students more personal living space with common areas for studying and socializing...
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,