Wellness manager settling in at WKU
|Author: Katherine Wade|
Date: Friday, September 30th, 2011
|Return to Archive|
Out of 62 applicants for the job, Wade Pinkard was hired as WKU’s new employee wellness manager earlier this month.
Pinkard, who has a Bachelor of Science in Health, Physical Education and Recreation from the University of North Alabama and a Master of Science in Wellness & Fitness from Middle Tennessee State University, started at WKU on Sept. 6.
Pinkard said health promotion has been his passion for many years.
“This is a new challenge because my experience has always been in a corporate setting,” he said.
Kathryn Steward, assistant director of health education, said WKU began to search for a new wellness manager in the spring. A search committee, which she chaired, narrowed down the applicants throughout June, and then began conducting phone and on-site interviews in late July.
Steward said WKU made the decision to offer the job to Pinkard because he was qualified.
“In his past employment he had multiple types of employees, which in a university we also deal with,” she said. “All of those different types of employees have different needs, and he understood that.”
Steward said it was clear that Pinkard would be passionate about the job.
“He really blew us away in his presentation interview,” she said.“He was very prepared and had done a lot of research on our organization. I was impressed all the way around with the preparation he had done and his overall experience.”
Ann Mead, vice president for Finance and Administration, said because WKU is self-insured for health insurance, the university“controls our own destiny in a lot of ways.”
“Wellness helps control costs and if we control costs we can control premiums,” she said. “And that’s important to both employees and employers.”
Mead said it is a win-win to have a successful wellness program.
Pinkard said his first action as wellness manager will be to design and implement a comprehensive wellness program, which begins by identifying a wellness provider.
As part of the assessment phase of this project, Pinkard sent out an email earlier this week which included an Employee Wellness Interest Survey to help him gather information about the needs and interests of WKU faculty and staff.
Pinkard said WKU’s goal is to begin the new program in the first quarter of 2012.
Steward said she is enthusiastic about the new program.
“I’m looking forward to starting fresh with the new program and getting our employees on board,” she said. “Getting feedback from them will help make this a really good program that people can be proud of.”
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Details regarding upcoming auditions for the WKU Theatre & Dance production of Lily Plants a Garden.
Details regarding auditions for The Enchanted Attic at WKU
Details regarding auditions for The Dance Project at WKU.
Announcement regarding last minute addition to class schedule: Musical Theatre Ensemble.
Announcement about Theatre & Dance Convocation for Fall 2014 semester.
Detailed information about an upcoming audition for Six Characters in Search of an Author