Fitness Center Policies
- No person under 14 years of age is permitted.
- Personal items, including any type of bags, jackets, and purses are not allowed in the FC. Lockers are provided outside of the FC, in the lobby area and in the locker rooms for your convenience. Keys for lockers are available at the Preston Center control desk for check out. Do not leave your belongings in the locker overnight. All lockers will be cleaned out daily at 10:30pm.
- Clothing that fully covers the torso and mid section (sports bras should be worn underneath shirts)
- Appropriate gym footwear must be worn at all times (no sandals, flip flops or bare feet)
- No jeans, cargo pants or cut-off shorts are allowed
- No open beverage containers, food, gum, or tobacco products allowed. Sealed top water bottles are allowed.
- Talking on a cell phone is strictly prohibited in the Fitness Center. Text messaging is prohibited while using cardiovascular machines.
- Profanity, excessive loud and suggestive language, and sexual harassment are prohibited. Western Kentucky University is committed to providing a working and learning environment that is free from sexual harassment and it is the policy of this University that sexual harassment in any form will not be tolerated.
- Please be courteous to others in the FC at all times. Share equipment and allow others to set in.
- Report any injury immediately to the FC attendant.
- Report any equipment problem immediately to the FC attendant.
- Clean machines after each use by spraying solution on towel and wiping down equipment. (Please do not spray solution directly on machine. Do not wipe down the LCD display on the cardiovascular machine!)
- Ask FC attendant for assistance or demonstrations.
- No outside personal training is permitted in the FC or Preston Center. Personal training can be arranged through the Health & Fitness Lab.
- Preston Center is not responsible for any lost, stolen or damaged items. Any lost and found items will be held at the Preston Center for one semester. After this time all items will be donated to charity.
- Safety clips are mandatory while on treadmills.
- When FC is crowded, please limit your time on the cardiovascular machines to 30 minutes.
- Collars are mandatory in free weight area.
- Please, do not monopolize more than one piece of equipment/barbell/set of dumbbell.
- Slamming, dropping or bouncing weights (machines or free weights) is prohibited.
- Olympic/power lifting (e.g. cleans, clean and jerk, any uncontrolled lifting) is prohibited.
- The use of a spotter is highly recommended.
- Return all plates, bars, dumbbells, and accessories after use.
- Do not remove any equipment from FC including free weights, plates, stability/medicine balls or cable accessories. Dumbbells should not be removed from free weight area.
- Weight gloves and wrist straps are allowed. The use of chalk is prohibited.
- Be considerate to others – do not sit and socialize on equipment.
- Policy violations will be reviewed by facility staff. Appropriate disciplinary actions, including verbal warning, removal from FC, restricted use of facilities, and loss of membership privileges, will be administered accordingly.
Ask us about a Fitness Center Orientation by contacting the Health & Fitness Lab at 270.745.6531
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,