Wieb Van Der Meer
BISC administers the High Performance Computing Clusters with two co-directors and two system administrators who compose the HPCC Executive Committee.
Claire Rinehart (BISC & HPCC)
Department of Biology
Uta Ziegler (BISC)
Computer Science Department
Rezaul Mahmood (HPCC)
Department of Geography and Geology
BISC Executive Committee
HPCC Executive Committee
Dr. Eric Rouchka - University of Louisville
(The bylaws are numbered to correspond with the items in the mission statement)
1. The WKU Bioinformatics and Information Science Center (BISC) Community
- Membership in BISC is open to faculty and staff, at WKU, that wish to participate in the bioinformatics and information science research community.
- As a full member, faculty will have the opportunity to contribute to the development of policies to fulfill the mission of the center, participate in consulting, mentor students in applied research, and help build a cross-disciplinary curriculum in bioinformatics and information science.
- As an associate member, faculty will be able to establish collaborations with BISC members and are encouraged to support the mission of the center in any way that they can.
- Affiliate status is open to individuals or organizations inside or outside the WKU research community that wish to collaborate with BISC or its members
- Application for membership must include a letter of intent and a CV to the BISC director. The letter must include:
- How applicant feels that they can contribute to the Center, including any potential collaboration.
- How the Center can support the applicant.
- A commitment to be an active member of the BISC and willing to participate in the BISC Consulting Committee (see 2.1.2) and seminars.
- Membership will be awarded upon approval of the majority of the BISC members.
Membership in ARTP
- The BISC is a member of the Advanced Research and Technology Program (ARTP) at Western Kentucky University.
- The BISC director will represent BISC on the ARTP director’s council and will communicate ARTP initiatives to the BISC membership.
- The BISC will have two elected directors. Support by a simple majority of all the BISC members is necessary for election to a director track position.
- The term for an elected director will be four years. The first year’s service will be as an assistant director, under the guidance of the director. The second year’s service will be as the director, and will be in consultation with the past director. The third year’s service will also be as the director who mentors a newly elected assistant director. The fourth year’s service will be as a past director who consults with the new director.
- Serves as the collective bargaining negotiator for the BISC, and as such, represents the BISC in matters of policy, contracts and funding pursuits.
- Is responsible for representing the BISC in the POD and ARTP. The Director will ensure that proper reporting is done to these programs.
- Has operational oversight of the BISC consultation services.
- Drafts the annual budget and revises it to meet the approval of the majority of the BISC members.
- Ensures that the BISC follows its budget plans.
- Reports annually, to the BISC members, on the income and expenditures for all accounts.
- Accepts, reviews and takes action to resolve grievances within the BISC.
Role of the Assistant and Past Directors
- The Assistant and Past Directors will work with the Director to administer the BISC and will assist with the responsibilities defined under the role of the Director.
The Workshop and Seminar Committee
- The Workshop and Seminar Committee will be responsible for organizing workshops that will introduce tools and concepts needed to work in the cross-disciplinary environment of BISC. This committee will also be responsible for recruiting speakers, both internal and external, to address the broad interests of the membership in regular seminars.
- The Curriculum Committee is charged with reviewing courses within the college that support cross-disciplinary education in bioinformatics and information science.
The Executive Committee
- The Executive Committee will serve to draft and review the operational procedures of BISC.
- This committee will review and approve funding of proposals for center supported projects.
- This committee will work with the co-directors to help the BISC fulfill its mission and goals.
- This committee is charged with pursuing funding appropriate for building the center's infrastructure and program.
External Advisory Board
- Through the ARTP, one or more external advisors will be invited to review the yearly progress of the BISC.
- At least one annual business meeting will be held to:
- Consider election of Directors (if necessary).
- Approve of the budget, saving plan, and endowment plan.
- Hear reports from the BISC Consultation Committee.
- Consider recommendation from the external advisory board.
- Regular BISC sponsored workshops and seminars will be held to facilitate the exchange of interest and expertise between the members and to invite the exchange of ideas from outside the BISC.
2. Engaging Students
- Use students in the BISC Consulting Committee work.
- Support student research with BISC members.
- Support student presentation of research results at professional meetings.
- Encourage students to participate in cross-disciplinary research.
3. Develop a network
- Use workshops and seminars to encourage information exchange that can lead to collaborations.
- Encourage participation at annual regional KY/TN Bioinformatics Conference.
- Invite Seminar speakers from regional schools.
- Tap into interactive bioinformatics seminars offered through GRID or other technology.
4. Undergraduate Curriculum
- Design a strong cross-disciplinary curriculum that will support a major or minor in bioinformatics and information science.
- Review the curriculum regularly.
5. The BISC will use revenues to support members in the creation of grant proposals, paper development, and meeting attendance.
BISC Mission Statement and Bylaws
Graduate Assistantship Committee
BISC External Advisory Board
History of BISC