Dr. Hanna (John) Khouryieh
Office: Environmental Science & Tech 137
Courses I teach at WKU:
- AMS 301 - Intro to Food Science and Technology
- AMS 303 - Food Laws & Regulations
- AMS 352 - Food Processing: Unit Operations
- AMS 381 - Food Quality Assurance
- AMS 395 - Fundamentals of HACCP
- AMS 443 - Food Packaging
- AMS 462 - Commodity Food Processing
Research interests include:
- Physicochemical and sensory properties of foods to enhance food quality, safety, stability and nutritive value
- Development of value-added functional foods
- Effect of processing on food quality and ingredient functionality
- Food protein-polysaccharides complexes as delivery methods for improved functional properties
- Structure-function relationships of food biopolymers and hydrocolloids
- Rheological and textural properties of foods
- Khouryieh H.A and Aramouni F. 2012. Physical and sensory characteristics of cookies prepared with flaxseed flour. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. DOI: 10.1002/jsfa.5642.
- Song, H. Khouryieh, A.A. AbuGhazaleh, M.M.E. Moussa, O. Hassan, and S. A. Ibrahim. 2010. Sensory properties and viability of probiotic microorganisms in chocolate ice cream supplemented with omega-3 fatty acids. Milchwissenschaft.
- Khouryieh H.A. and Giesecke C. 2009. Delaware High School Students’ Attitudes and Behaviors Regarding Use of Food Nutrition Labels. Proceeding of the 67th Professional Agricultural Workers Conference (PAWC), Tuskegee, Alabama.
- Khouryieh H. A., Herald T. J., Aramouni F. M, Bean S., and Alavi S. 2007. Influence of deacetylation on the rheological properties of xanthan-guar mixtures in dilute solutions. Journal of Food Science, 72(3): C173-C181.
- Khouryieh H. A., Herald T. J., Aramouni F. M, Bean S., and Alavi S. 2007. Intrinsic Viscosity and Viscoelastic Properties of Xanthan/Guar Mixtures in Dilute Solutions: Effect of Salt Concentration on the Polymer Interactions. Food Research International, 40(7): 883-893.
- Khouryieh H. A., Herald T. J., and Aramouni F. M. 2006. Quality and sensory properties of fresh egg noodles formulated with either total or partial replacement of egg substitutes. Journal of Food Science, 71(6): S433-S437.
- Khouryieh H. A., Herald T. J., Aramouni F. M, and Alavi S. 2006. Influence of mixing temperature on xanthan conformation and interaction of xanthan-guar gum in dilute aqueous solutions. Food Research International, 39(9): 964-973.
- Khouryieh H. A., Aramouni F. M., and Herald T. J. 2005. Physical, chemical and sensory properties of sugar-free jelly. Journal of Food Quality, 28, 179-190.
- Khouryieh H. A., Aramouni F. M., and Herald T. J. 2005. Physical and sensory characteristics of no-sugar added/ low fat muffin. Journal of Food Quality, 28, 439-451
- Ph.D., Food Science, Kansas State University, 2006
- M.S., Food Science, Kansas State University, 2003
- B.S., Biology, Birzeit University, 1997
- Assistant Professor, Western Kentucky University, 2010-Pres
- Research Faulty/Sr. Reserach Scientist, Delaware State University, 2007 - 2010
- Graduate Research Assistant, Kansas State University, 2001 - 2006
Professional Memberships & Activities
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), 2002-Present
- Member, American Association of Cereal Chemistry (AACC), 2004-2007
- Book Reviewer, John Wiley and Sons
- Ad hoc reviewer for the following journals: Journal of Food Science, Journal of Applied
Rheology, International Journal of Food Science and Technology, Journal of the Science of
Food and Agriculture, and Journal of Food Quality
Awards & Honors
- Travel Award, Texture Technologies Corp., 2008
- American Institute of Baking Scholarship, awarded to attend AIB, 2006
- College of Agriculture Scholarship, Kansas State University, 2004/2005
- Joseph Zayas Graduate Student Award for Outstanding Research in Physical and Chemical Properties of Food at Kansas State University, 2004-2005
- Phi Tau Sigma, the Honor Society of Food Science, Kansas State University
- Gamma Sigma Delta, the Honor Society of Agriculture, Kansas State University