- Academic Policies
- Financial Aid
- Teacher Admission Requirements
- Teacher Certification
- International Initiatives
- Student Organizations
Early Field Experiences
Changes in the requirements regarding early field experiences prior to student teaching are in effect.
Education majors who will be student teaching in the spring of 2014 are required to have 200 verified hours of appropriate field experiences prior to student teaching.
Please read more about this regulation, how it affects you, and how to ensure that you meet this new requirement.
Early Field Experience Requirements
What are Early Field Experience Hours?
- Field experience hours are formally documented hours a student spends in the public school setting (not a college campus setting).
- All 200 hours of experiences must be associated with a professional education course in the student's program.
- Students are required to complete and acquire appropriate signatures on the Field Experience Form (PDF )
New 200 Hour Requirement
- All students who plan to student teach in spring 2014 and beyond will have to meet the 200 hour fieldwork requirements
- Established by the Educational Professional Standards Board (EPSB) (see EPSB Regulation)
- Students must keep copies of all student fieldwork forms and provide copies to the faculty member of the course in which the hours are completed. The instructor of the course must confirm the accuracy of the field hours completed in the course.
The EPSB Electronic Data Entry System
- All universities in the state of Kentucky will be using the new EPSB system for entering field experience hours.
- The Kentucky Field Experience Tracking System (KFETS) is available here http://www.epsb.ky.gov/ .
- All Students will be required to use the KFETS system from Fall 2014 forward.
- This directly affects students planning on doing their student teaching in spring 2014 and beyond.
Student Teachers-Spring 2014 Only - Documentation Process
- You will be required to provide the School of Teacher Education formal documentation of ALL 200 Field Experience Hours prior to receiving your student teaching placement.
- However, you do NOT have to enter these hours into the new EPSB System-as it is not likely to be ready in time.
- This documentation may include:
> previous field experiences entered into the E-PASS Accountability System
> original paper copies of the experience forms.
These data will need to be verified before the student can student teach in spring 2014.
Access Previously Entered Field Experience Hours
- Students can view fall 2012 and prior field experience data from within the Portfolio System if the forms were collected and entered into the CEBS E-PASS Accountability System by STE.
- Students can view this through the menu STUDENT STATUS --> VIEW FIELDWORK ENTRIES on the current CEBS E-PASS Portfolio System.
How Do I Get 200 Field Experience Hours?
Talk to your professors who can provide options for you.
- You can ask your professor to give you an "incomplete" in a course requiring field experience hours. This will allow you to continue to accumulate field experience hours until the end of the cooperating school district's school year.
- Fall 2013 fieldwork hours can count before the semester begins! You can receive approval (from your fall instructor) to complete hours while the cooperating school district is in session.
- Students who are not enrolled in a professional/teacher education course (course requiring field experience hours) for spring 2013 may work with the instructor of a previous and/or recent professional/teacher education course to identify a field placement for the second bi-term of the spring 2013 semester. The placement must be connected to the work of the course.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact: Ms. Jamie Stephens
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,